YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

Looks like YEA / Cadets are being sued over a workplace accident last summer.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16135225/1/antonelli-v-youth-education-in-the-arts/

Note - as actual court documents (with names) have been filed I don't think this falls under the 'undocumented accusation' aegis.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Looked thru quick but don’t speak legalese too well. I’m reading it as guy got hurt and didn’t get paid. But can’t tell what the payment agreement was so no idea if he was paid anything before the accident. Not returning phone calls part is interesting....

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Looked thru quick but don’t speak legalese too well. I’m reading it as guy got hurt and didn’t get paid. But can’t tell what the payment agreement was so no idea if he was paid anything before the accident. Not returning phone calls part is interesting....

The document lays out the basic framework for the legal claim.  It will get fleshed out with testimony, evidence, etc as the process moves forward.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The document lays out the basic framework for the legal claim.  It will get fleshed out with testimony, evidence, etc as the process moves forward.

Understood just don’t have time (or care to enough) at this point to put all the pieces together. Will just wait for this to unfold.

lol reminds me of specs for software for a computer app. Bunch of pieces and first step is to put them in a logical order

• Thanks 1

Per the complaint: the Cadets' transportation director was injured after he fell from a ladder while climbing down from the top of a vehicle which he had been instructed to paint. This was at Ohio Northern; the date was June 14. Another Cadets' staff member drove him to the hospital in Lima. He had surgery the next day to set his broken bones and put steel rods and plates in his legs. He still undergoes physical therapy. He says that once they left him at the hospital, he never heard from Cadets again: they abandoned him in Lima to find his own way home (in Colorado).

He's suing on six counts of $75,000 each plus attorneys' fees, court costs, etc. (Lawyers: is that right? Each of the counts is separate, so the total is $450,000?)

How much will YEA settle for?

• Thanks 1

Who is YEA's insurance company? Presumably they'll be the ones making the decision.

On a related note, I have noticed modern drum corps now involves running around and climbing/hanging on props such as scaffolds, ladders, see-saws, impromptu mini-stages, and various other OSHA nightmares. 

I assume members now sign wavers and corps have liability insurance?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

On a related note, I have noticed modern drum corps now involves running around and climbing/hanging on props such as scaffolds, ladders, see-saws, impromptu mini-stages, and various other OSHA nightmares. 

I assume members now sign wavers and corps have liability insurance?  

I wonder the same thing.   

During my many years working with the Cadets and other drum corps, I had torn my labrum, torn my ACL, Broke my big and middle toes, broke fingers and had multiple 2nd and 3rd degree burns. I even had a big azz chair fall on my head. I never thought about suing a drum corps and I'm sure they would pay my hospital fees if asked.   

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 8