YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Or Cadets kids putting them together in hard hats and steel-toed boots.

I'd bet regional competitions soon become "Prop Inspections Sites" sometime soon.  There's enough mechanical engineer volunteer talent to see that it's done for all corps in one place at one time.  Three or four times a year.  Also, if corps know the inspections are coming up, it's likely that they'll keep the props in better shape during the whole season.

I like the idea of regionals becoming "Prop Inspections Sites", but I believe if you want a mechanical engineer to certify that a prop is safe, then DCI or the Corps should be prepared to pay the engineer for that certification.  

I have a brother-in-law who is a civil engineer in southern California.  He has the credentials & licenses required to inspect buildings after an earthquake & declare whether they are safe or not.  He charges $ for this service, but he is also the one who will be sued if he makes a mistake, a building collapses, & people get injured.  It should work the same way with prop inspections in DCI.  If you want a professional opinion on the safety of a prop, be prepared to pay the professional.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dans said:

You make some good points; however, why is this strike 3 for the Cadets? We have only heard one side of the story. And the side we heard is purposely structured by the plaintiff's lawyer to make the Cadets sound bad. Not saying there isn't any fault on the Cadets part. What I am saying is that we should wait for both sides to present their case before blame is assigned. I will say that I don't believe that the good people in charge of the Cadets would intentionally wrong anyone.

It isn't strike three. I was quoting the poster who I answered who said for them it was strike 3. All I meant was members and potential members decide , not the poster or anyone else for that matter.

I am agreeing 100%

6 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

It isn't strike three. I was quoting the poster who I answered who said for them it was strike 3. All I meant was members and potential members decide , not the poster or anyone else for that matter.

I am agreeing 100%

It's all good...I understand you were only referencing the poster. I agree with you. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OldBones said:

If DCI is truly serious about the safety of all those involved in the activity, maybe punishing one of the big names will force all the other corps to take the new safety policies seriously. This includes the ridiculous props that do nothing to but possibly cause serious injuries. 

There has always been the risk of injury in Drum Corps.  I don't think props should be banned because of increased risk of injury, but because they're cheesy.  Looks like litter all over the field.

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you want a professional opinion on the safety of a prop, be prepared to pay the professional.

Would a pro certify a design that isn't static?

Prop designs probably should be reviewed, approved, and stamped by a structural engineer prior to construction  

Once built and constructed they should be inspected by OSHA for compliance with all applicable OSHA standards.

Since many props are assembled, disassembled and transported throughout the season, another inspection most likely should be scheduled during the season just like carnival and amusement park rides are for safety. 

Surprised no one has filed under whistleblower guidelines to date for violating Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act), Section 11(c). 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Ok, I don't like props either, but using someone falling off of a truck as an excuse to ban props is kinda silly. Shouldn't we be banning trucks?

Or people

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Since many props are assembled, disassembled and transported throughout the season, another inspection most likely should be scheduled during the season just like carnival and amusement park rides are for safety. 

In places that actually have safety standards the carnival rides are inspected after they are put together and before people are allowed to ride. That’s every time they are assembled. IIRC some places quit having carnivals when state or local laws went into effect regarding inspections. IIRC the cheapo carnivals would fail inspection. Surprised some places don’t mandate inspections for DC and MB props that are assembled on site and have members on them. Just because a prop is designed safely doesn’t mean it’s put together safe every time. People do have a tendency to screw up especially if it’s the 50th time they put the #### thing together and it’s a boring job.

As for the person falling and breaking his leg. My reading of the lawsuit says he is qualified to maintain transportation equipment. So if he is told to fix or do something with a bus he is the subject matter expert (SME) in how that job can be done safely. So corps management tells him something needs to be done, it is his job to determine how to do it and not the corps.. How he was treated after the accident is another issue though.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

velocity drill caused only turned ankles and a few embarrassed faces when mms met wet turf or didn't pay attention.  Props can be way more devastating. Ask BD and Bloo mms.

I really don't want to derail this discussion but that just isn't factual. In 3 years of Sacktig hornline drill I saw four five season-ending injuries: two three knees, a hip, and a testicular hernia. 

Edited by FTNK