YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

53 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was thinking same thing with Uncle Sam and his different “pots of money” each with a certain amount and marked for specific things. And second thought is USBands has its own expenses and might not have that much excess revenue. Third thought... are Cadets, YEA and USBands non profits? Might have an impact on shifting money 

All good questions.  Anyone here a CPA who can shed some light on this?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

All good questions.  Anyone here a CPA who can shed some light on this?

Niece has a Masters in Accounting... but lives a few states away and usually travels....

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Was thinking same thing with Uncle Sam and his different “pots of money” each with a certain amount and marked for specific things. And second thought is USBands has its own expenses and might not have that much excess revenue. Third thought... are Cadets, YEA and USBands non profits? Might have an impact on shifting money 

YEA is a non-profit.

Cadets are a non profit.

US Bands says they operate under YEA's  "banner".

So I presume they are non profit also.

I believe the issue of transferring funds back and forth between various YEA components 

was discussed in depth on one or more other threads on DCP.

If a remember correctly,people have posted that YEA, under you know who, were  masters at it.

I would think that the Tax Filings of YEA,which I believe  are public records,would shed at least some light

on what has/is being done.

33 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

YEA is a non-profit.

Cadets are a non profit.

I believe the issue of transferring funds back and forth between various YEA components 

If a remember correctly,people have posted that YEA, under you know who, were  masters at it.

I would think that the Tax Filings of YEA,which I believe  are public records,would shed at least some light

wasn't CMBC/USSBA/USBands set up to be a fund raiser for the Cadets?

• Like 2

I looked.  I'm TOTALLY convinced that all revenue from all of the YEA! entities are included in the 990s for the master entity, YEA!.org.  All of the entities' various incomes, and YEA! expenses, are allocated to each entity and reported on the YEA! 990.  The percentages of total income is clear and the expenses are identified, and updated with supplemental filings.

For whatever discussion happens here, I'm operating under the presumption that each program is a separate entity, operating under separate budgets (likely) and responsible for their own P&L and considered expendable if not adding revenue to the bottom line of YEA!.

Your mileage may vary, my disclaimer is that I'm Schultz and a complete doofus so, therefore, if you take any action based on anything financial I say here, you're a bigger doofus than I am.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

YEA is a non-profit.

Cadets are a non profit.

Cadets are a non-profit BECAUSE they are a program of YEA!, which is a defacto non-profit.

Ditto USBands and Cadets2.

Tax filings are form 990's available to the public (for a fee to join and get access) at Guidestar.org.  Or, here, if someone asks, I've got a membership and have looked at one or two (or 24) of them.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I wonder if Cadets & USBands revenue / expenses within YEA are in one big pot (co-mingled) or are they kept separate?  

Each division can and should have their own budget, but US Bands is included in YEA's financials. 

Another example of how I've been around here too long. @garfield's classic and enthralling 990 thread is no longer a part of DCP institutional memory.