YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

33 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

But did you get paid what was in your contract? Seems to be a big sticking point here.

That's just my mentality, I assume there are risk on tour. I try to be very careful but I wouldn't put myself in harms way. I wouldn't pick metal objects off the field during a lightning storm or jump into a dumpster of rusty cans but I expect to work very hard and look after my own well-been and if I get hurt I patch up and get back on the wagon. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newBACmom said:

No, the $75,000 is the threshold of damages in order for you to file a complaint in federal court.  So, he's saying his damages are over $75,000.  The number of counts of the complaint don't have anything to do with that monetary figure.  

Thank you for explaining that!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

That's just my mentality, I assume there are risk on tour. I try to be very careful but I wouldn't put myself in harms way. I wouldn't pick metal objects off the field during a lightning storm or jump into a dumpster of rusty cans but I expect to work very hard and look after my own well-been and if I get hurt I patch up and get back on the wagon. 

And keep on plugging... know that feeling👍

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure God is telling them to fold the tents on this organization. The optics on this are just terrible and they apparently can't do anything right. Hopefully the newer new director will be smarter than the last two were. It doesn't seem to be a very high bar to hurdle.

Who in their right mind has an employee get injured on the job and then dumps them at the hospital and never follows up with them again? The Cadets better hope there is more to the story because that is about as sorry and callous of a response an employer could have. 

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

just based on the complaint, it doesn't look good. I'm guessing court other info may come out

eh - the insurance company will settle this out of court. The document is designed to make it look as bad as possible - that's its purpose. 

as for non-communication the insurance company would provide a claim number and the reps would handle all communication and follow up - not YEA!

as far as not transporting him home - perhaps more to that story? zero idea

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I do believe all props are inspected to be sure they meet OSHA requirements

That may be just for the design.

I would doubt the corps have an OSHA trained inspector to inspect the props 

each time they are put together.

As I posted on another thread,I provide expert testimony in cases

involving injuries from defective playground equipment.

When something like this happens, it opens up all kinds of

issues.

Things like:

1.Are there written instructions for  the assembly ,dismantling, maintenance  and repair of things like

props ?

This includes safety procedures and equipment.

2.Who is the  individual (s) in charge of this  ?

3.What are his/her qualifications?

4.Is there a log for each assembly and dismantling,including inspecting for damage

and repair ?

Some of this may sound like overkill for a drum corps prop.

Based on my experience,its not.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Who in their right mind has an employee get injured on the job and then dumps them at the hospital and never follows up with them again? The Cadets better hope there is more to the story because that is about as sorry and callous of a response an employer could have. 

there's always "more to the story" in my experience - but the defense presents that side

Part of rpbobcats post hits my thoughts exactly.

”each time they are put together”

that includes shows and practice.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I'm pretty sure God is telling them to fold the tents on this organization. The optics on this are just terrible and they apparently can't do anything right. Hopefully the newer new director will be smarter than the last two were. It doesn't seem to be a very high bar to hurdle.

I'm not sure you have more of a pipeline to the Almighty than the tried and true of Most Holy Name.

I'm still remembering my burst appendix and peritonitus three days before Nationals while on tour with the same corps in '92, "the" Ohio State doctor telling me I had a virus like the 8 corps members I had driven to his clinic after the show in Columbus, the $17K bill (that thankfully insurance my paid in full after the doctor and hospital discounted tremendously due to the situation and public relations) and the flight in first class to JFK and home with two pillows wrapped around my gut and the seatbelt wrapped around them due to my stitches, and GH "losing" the card Dave Roulier (DM) had all the mms, staff, and volunteers sign wishing me well. But on this I'm with BoxingFred. Sometimes life just happens.  

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Nah. While they do seem liable and need to improve their policies, and by all means let the injured man be compensated for his loss and let him fully recover, compared to many work injuries and the response thereto which I've heard of just in the performing arts word, this is *nothing*.