YEA / Cadets Injury Lawsuit

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I do believe all props are inspected to be sure they meet OSHA requirements

They should be, but they aren't. DCI does require that they meet certain OSHA requirements, but there's no formal inspection process when it comes to the quality of the construction, etc. That will probably change by next year.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

I'm still remembering my burst appendix and peritonitus three days before Nationals while on tour with the same corps in '92, "the" Ohio State doctor telling me I had a virus like the 8 corps members I had driven to his clinic after the show in Columbus, the $17K bill (that thankfully insurance my paid in full after the doctor and hospital discounted tremendously due to the situation and public relations) and the flight in first class to JFK and home with two pillows wrapped around my gut and the seatbelt wrapped around them due to my stitches, and GH "losing" the card Dave Roulier (DM) had all the mms, staff, and volunteers sign wishing me well. But on this I'm with BoxingFred. Sometimes life just happens.  

I was on a project with a client back in New Jersey 13 years ago.  I was onsite every week for months.  One Monday morning I woke up with what I thought was indigestion but still got on the plane for my weekly visit.  I took some Tums at the airport but they didn't help.  As the day progressed I felt worse.  To the point where I had to excuse myself from a meeting to go have dry heaves in the bathroom.  I came back to the meeting and for the first time in my career, I had to tell a client I had to go back to the hotel to lay down.  They were ######.  It was a good thing the hotel was a 5 minute walk from them.

I felt like I had food poisoning so sleeping it off would help.  I woke up in the middle of the night feeling no better, but went back to sleep.  The next morning I still felt no better and as I got up to go to the bathroom I felt a horrible ripping pain in my lower abdomen.  I got scared so I called the hotel reception and asked where the nearest hospital was.  It was 5 minutes away.  They brought their hotel bus around and drove me to the emergency.

I didn't pay attention to the name of the hospital I was driven to - the pain was so bad.  In 5 minutes I was brought into an examination room and given morphine.  For the first time the pain started to reduce.  I was sent for a cat scan and the results were appendicitis.  I was scheduled to be operated on at 1:00 pm that day.  I asked the doctor if I could possibly fly home to which he frankly said "No - you will die."  

I was operated on and brought to recovery.  The doctor told me my appendix had already burst and that this would mean I would be in the hospital for a few days.  I became septic which meant multiple different antibiotics to fight a rapidly spreading infection.  It was all surreal.  However, the hospital was top notch. I had never received better care in all my life.

I was then told I was in Hackensack at a University hospital.  Well, what is the first thing that comes to my Percocet-affected mind - Garfield Cadets!!!!  Who in the hospital knows about Garfield????  Someone must know about them.   But where is the Jello?  Percocet does strange things to the mind....

8 days and $86,000 later I was released from that hospital (covered by insurance).  

Funny enough, I was 5 minutes away from my client's offices.  Not a single visit, not a card and not one phone call to ask how I was doing.  And the office called me 2 days before I was scheduled to return to work to ask if I would fly out again to them right away.  

Wow, this type of thing sure does show who the haters are.  In one thread, they pretend to be supportive.  Then an allegation like this happens, and those same people show their true colors.  It’s pretty funny.  Shut this corps down.  They suck.  Directors are all incompetent.  Yada yada yada.  

We have only heard one side so far. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Show design concepts isn’t the only poor judgement being made within YEA. 

before we draw conclusions it might be best to let it play out... 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Wow, this type of thing sure does show who the haters are.  In one thread, they pretend to be supportive.  Then an allegation like this happens, and those same people show their true colors.  It’s pretty funny.  Shut this corps down.  They suck.  Directors are all incompetent.  Yada yada yada.  

exactly

20 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

The organization has been sick for a long, long time. It was obvious when I marched and things don’t seem to have changed

47 minutes ago, Continental said:

I was on a project with a client back in New Jersey 13 years ago.  I was onsite every week for months.  One Monday morning I woke up with what I thought was indigestion but still got on the plane for my weekly visit.  I took some Tums at the airport but they didn't help.  As the day progressed I felt worse.  To the point where I had to excuse myself from a meeting to go have dry heaves in the bathroom.  I came back to the meeting and for the first time in my career, I had to tell a client I had to go back to the hotel to lay down.  They were ######.  It was a good thing the hotel was a 5 minute walk from them.

I felt like I had food poisoning so sleeping it off would help.  I woke up in the middle of the night feeling no better, but went back to sleep.  The next morning I still felt no better and as I got up to go to the bathroom I felt a horrible ripping pain in my lower abdomen.  I got scared so I called the hotel reception and asked where the nearest hospital was.  It was 5 minutes away.  They brought their hotel bus around and drove me to the emergency.

I didn't pay attention to the name of the hospital I was driven to - the pain was so bad.  In 5 minutes I was brought into an examination room and given morphine.  For the first time the pain started to reduce.  I was sent for a cat scan and the results were appendicitis.  I was scheduled to be operated on at 1:00 pm that day.  I asked the doctor if I could possibly fly home to which he frankly said "No - you will die."  

I was operated on and brought to recovery.  The doctor told me my appendix had already burst and that this would mean I would be in the hospital for a few days.  I became septic which meant multiple different antibiotics to fight a rapidly spreading infection.  It was all surreal.  However, the hospital was top notch. I had never received better care in all my life.

I was then told I was in Hackensack at a University hospital.  Well, what is the first thing that comes to my Percocet-affected mind - Garfield Cadets!!!!  Who in the hospital knows about Garfield????  Someone must know about them.   But where is the Jello?  Percocet does strange things to the mind....

8 days and $86,000 later I was released from that hospital (covered by insurance).  

Funny enough, I was 5 minutes away from my client's offices.  Not a single visit, not a card and not one phone call to ask how I was doing.  And the office called me 2 days before I was scheduled to return to work to ask if I would fly out again to them right away.  

Flew overseas to work and one of our crew passed out on the flight over. One area of the plane must have had air circulation problems as people were getting sick. She got up and keeled over hitting her side on an arm rest. Got to job site and she goes to clinic and told she bruised her side. Got worse and worse and finally flew back early (never made it to work site). Got home and found out she had 2 cracked ribs. 

No one gave her any crap as some were on another job years earlier when the manager hit the floor. They thought he tripped until they realized he wasn’t moving....

Yeah it happens but health comes first. Glad you recovered..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, Slingerland said:

They should be, but they aren't. DCI does require that they meet certain OSHA requirements, but there's no formal inspection process when it comes to the quality of the construction, etc. That will probably change by next year.

There have been fatal, prop related, performer accidents in recent years on Broadway as well as in Cirque de Soleil; I fear the current 'props arms race' in DCI will lead to a performer getting seriously injured (or worse).  IDK how much the recent emphasis on safety addresses props, but I think prop safety is something that needs to be closely scrutinized. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2