In The News – Vose Inducted Into World Drum Corps Hall Of Fame

Resident David Vose was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, Aug. 30. Other inductees of the WDCHOF include legendary drummers Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham. Also inducted in this class was George Takei best known for portraying the helmsman of USS Enterprise in the “Star Trek” television series. Read […]

View the full article

On 9/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, DCP NewsFeed said:

Resident David Vose was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, Aug. 30. Other inductees of the WDCHOF include legendary drummers Steve Gadd and Billy Cobham. Also inducted in this class was George Takei best known for portraying the helmsman of USS Enterprise in the “Star Trek” television series. Read […]

View the full article

Oh boy. The world drum corps hall of fame. The organization whose membership includes George Hopkins and now George Takei but not George Bonfiglio. What an embarrassment. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Oh boy. The world drum corps hall of fame. The organization whose membership includes George Hopkins and now George Takei but not George Bonfiglio. What an embarrassment. 

Perhaps George Bonfiglio hasn't been nominated for one reason or another?  It looks like anyone can submit a candidate:

1. NOMINATION

Any interested person may submit a candidate for World Drum Corps Hall of Fame membership consideration by completing a Nomination Form* on the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame website and obtaining the candidates confirmation.

* Forms are available online and must be submitted online by January 15th to be considered for that calendar year. Once submitted, applications remain active and do not need to be re-submitted annually.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

And, IMO, Takei's accomplishments in drum corps or music in general don't stand up in comparison to Vose (or Bonfiglio), but justification for his nomination is riddled with his societal "agitation" around identity rights.

Not so much as a horn-toot has been heard from his embouchure since he played at Commodore Perry more than 50 years ago.  At least Rita Moreno (and a few other notable Hollywood music legends) actually visited a drum corps show and promoted the activity.

I'm sure this George has many fans, too.  But I wonder how many of them have seen a drum corps show since yard lines became irrelevant.  It appears his Facebook follower count is a significant reason for his "induction".

"As a teenager, he played baritone horn for the Commodore Perry Scouts drum and bugle corps, which was associated with Los Angeles Boy Scout Troop 379 of the Koyasan Buddhist Temple. The corps was sponsored by Commodore Perry American Legion Post 525 and the Temple.

"His views about state and local politics, human rights and Japan-United States relations have helped attract more than 10 million Facebook page followers. He has received awards and accolades for his work on human rights and Japan-United States relations, including his work with the Japanese American National Museum."  - WDCHOF, April, 2019

Edited by garfield
  • Haha 1

Well how about Chuck Connors (The Rifleman bari) or John Raffensberger (Cheers bass drum).

56 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well how about Chuck Connors (The Rifleman bari) or John Raffensberger (Cheers bass drum).

Connors marched OLPH Ridgemen, Brooklyn, NY and the cheers Mailman marched CT. Yankees in Stratford, Ct.  Did I get them right, teach?

or Connors had a cousin who was a Redemptorist priest who ran OLPH and Stratford is a "suburb" of Bridgeport, Ct.

Edited by xandandl

59 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Connors marched OLPH Ridgemen, Brooklyn, NY and the cheers Mailman marched CT. Yankees in Stratford, Ct.  Did I get them right, teach?

or Connors had a cousin who was a Redemptorist priest who ran OLPH and Stratford is a "suburb" of Bridgeport, Ct.

Chucks corps was in the old Drum Corps Trivia Game that I sold years ago. Cliffie I never knew the corps let alone he marched Sr so thanks.