Cascades Memorial Day Camp

I just got back from catching the final run through of the Cascades camp.  They are performing what I have called a "Garfield's Greatest Hits" show.  Their repetoire includes:

Our Town

Profanation from Jeremiah Symphony

Simple Song from Mass

Prelude, Fugue and Riffs

Make Our Garden Grow

These songs represent some of my favorite Garfield moments over the years.  When I saw the Cascades two weeks ago I was very disappointed.  They were very young, very dirty, and struggling mightily.  I couldn't help but hear Garfield in my head as I watched.  Obviously they can't live up to those memories.

What a difference a couple of weeks makes!!!  They have come so far in such a short period of time.  The hornline has improved by leaps and bounds in just two weeks.  They still struggle with marching technique.  I expect that visual execution will be their achilles heal all summer.  The very demanding drill was written by Myron Rosander (SCV).  I'm not sure they have the maturity to really clean it, but they are working very hard.

I still don't like the show concept (too much to live up to), but if you can get past that it is very enjoyable.  If you are a fan of the 80's (as I am) you will probably like this show.  Nothing cute - just straight forward drum corps.  The mellophones have their work cut out for them with very exposed runs all over the place.

Anyway - good job Cascades!  They have a decent shot a improving over last years placing by several spots.

Obviously they can't live up to those memories.

What is so obvious about this?

For those of us that marched the 80's these pieces, as performed by Garfield, represent some of the great, great performances of that time.

The Cascades, while improving rapidly, are not up to that performance level.  It's not even fair to compare the two, but it is difficult not to when the entire program is comprised of music performed so well by the Cadets.

This edition of the Cascades will likely be the best drum corps ever to come out of the state of Washington.  I'm looking forward to cheering for them.

• 2 months later...

:o I just wanted to bring this review back up and point out how WRONG I was!!! You have my most humble apologies for underestimating your determination. Congrats to each and every one of you. We are all very proud of you here in Seattle and the PNW!!!

Well,

I would Like to Join you. I was pulling for them from the begining. Big Huge Congrats to Bink and her fellow Mellows and Corps Mates. Talking to Bink all year long I could tell she and the rest of the corps were excited and deteremined to do well this year. I am so happy for her and the corps. NICE JOB all of you. Most of the corps I believe are young so I am sure you will hear lots more from this Corps. I will be right there cheering for them. Once again GREAT JOB WAY TO GO!!!

P.S. Bink Talk to you soon..