Meet The 2020 Spirit Of Atlanta Visual And Guard Teams

Spirit of Atlanta is excited to introduce the teams leading our visual and color guard programs for the upcoming season. Chris Johnston Chris Johnston joins Spirit of Atlanta in the role of Visual Caption Manager. Chris is currently the music teacher at Jo Byrns Elementary School in Cedar Hill, Tennessee. He graduated from Austin Peay […]

View the full article

24 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I counted six Cadets alums and former techs just at a glance. Hopefully Spirit will do some drill.

Agreed. I liked the show this last season and have seen improvement in several areas. But the giganto-prop 9000 just didn't add anything to the show. If you're going to play the game, you have to know the rules of it well enough to give yourself a chance to win. Spirit is getting there. I'll hit up a few camps this spring.

16 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Agreed. I liked the show this last season and have seen improvement in several areas. But the giganto-prop 9000 just didn't add anything to the show. If you're going to play the game, you have to know the rules of it well enough to give yourself a chance to win. Spirit is getting there. I'll hit up a few camps this spring.

The megaprop served as a dressing room as the Strippers of Etlantah molted their costumes 3x in the same 12 minutes, 4 minutes per outfit evidently being the max audience and judges could take before being distracted. In the "olden" days when we had field judges on the field, about the field, not restricted to the front ensemble, such "visuals" as changing clothes had to be done discreetly, sometimes in unison, never distracting the show.  Not sure whether such movements are considered "visual" today but definitely not done in unison and often a distraction  when doors swing, wind blows at outdoor performances, and props fail to remain standing (as happened a few times with Spirit '18.) Perhaps 2020 will be better. Also should note that the appt of Chris Johnson and crew should acknowledge the DNA as he was with Colts, brought several mms with him when he pit-stopped at Cadets, and now they are all teaching Spirit. 

5 hours ago, xandandl said:

The megaprop served as a dressing room as the Strippers of Etlantah molted their costumes 3x in the same 12 minutes, 4 minutes per outfit evidently being the max audience and judges could take before being distracted. In the "olden" days when we had field judges on the field, about the field, not restricted to the front ensemble, such "visuals" as changing clothes had to be done discreetly, sometimes in unison, never distracting the show.  Not sure whether such movements are considered "visual" today but definitely not done in unison and often a distraction  when doors swing, wind blows at outdoor performances, and props fail to remain standing (as happened a few times with Spirit '18.) Perhaps 2020 will be better. Also should note that the appt of Chris Johnson and crew should acknowledge the DNA as he was with Colts, brought several mms with him when he pit-stopped at Cadets, and now they are all teaching Spirit. 

Yep. I too felt distracted by a beast that simply did not do anything....the elephant in the room (or field in this case.) I think props like that for many corps the activity are more an afterthought than a tool to higher GE. You feel the need to have them because...well, everyone else has them. 

I had a gentlemen come to my shop this past week and ask for me to build him a new cue. I was skeptical because he, quite frankly, isn't a very good player (or as we say...he can't even spell "pool.") He ended up (after an hour of deliberation,) with about a $1,400 design which will probably look REALLY cool leaned up against a chair while he gets his ### handed to him rack after rack. My point is, if you're going to have something fancy you should be able to effectively utilize it to help your cause. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

5 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think props like that for the lower 1/3rd of the activity are more an afterthought than a tool to higher GE.

Not arguing the effectiveness of the props, but I don't think that two consecutive 13th-place finishes puts Spirit into the "lower 1/3" of the activity. With 36 corps competing at last year's prelims, 13th place is a lot closer to the "top 1/3" of the activity than than the "lower 1/3."

7 minutes ago, oldsoprano said:

Not arguing the effectiveness of the props, but I don't think that two consecutive 13th-place finishes puts Spirit into the "lower 1/3" of the activity. With 36 corps competing at last year's prelims, 13th place is a lot closer to the "top 1/3" of the activity than than the "lower 1/3."

My apologies. I miscalculated. There were 25 corps at finals in World Class.