IF........

.......for the heck of it.......some town/city in the Mid West made an offer to DCA that was cheaper AND better than Williamsport, Rochester or any NE city. Would DCA and its corps accept it?

Another thought provoking thread from Keith !

My expectation would be NO.  Right now, my guess is too many voting corps are locked into a 7-8 hour maximum driving distance. Plus, a fear the event becomes an annual journey. Most likely, corps finances are stretched too thin. 

Conditions for such a venture were much better years ago, yet nothing developed.

Edited by Fred Windish

18 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Another thought provoking thread from Keith !

My expectation would be NO.  Right now, my guess is too many voting corps are locked into a 7-8 hour maximum driving distance. Plus, a fear the event becomes an annual journey. Most likely, corps finances are stretched too thin. 

Conditions for such a venture were much better years ago, yet nothing developed.

Fred put it better than I could... cost of travel including possible change of drivers after so many hours comes into play. Corps would need long term planning for one trip like this....

You know, Jim, we probably should consider each corps deciding the feasibility of passing the added travel expense down to each member. Something like $200 per member in addition  to current dues and other charges. Maybe some would opt to do that.

Somehow, Atlanta CV covers the cost of extended travel.  Anyone know their secret?

32 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

You know, Jim, we probably should consider each corps deciding the feasibility of passing the added travel expense down to each member. Something like $200 per member in addition  to current dues and other charges. Maybe some would opt to do that.

Somehow, Atlanta CV covers the cost of extended travel.  Anyone know their secret?

I’d say up to each corps what works best but passing to members is an option. Also ask Govies how they do it too. Smaller corps but same travel issues

31 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Yeah....we never marched anywhere else lol. The most travel I can remember was 2005. We did Wildwood, Winston Salem, DCI Atlanta, Rockmart, Orlando and the finals. It was a LOT of travel. After that it tapered off quite a bit. We also had a lot of fundraising though from Birdies for Charities, to Atlanta Motor Speedway. I'm uncertain what the fundraising looks like now. I also believe with the purchse of 3 complete batteries in the last 4 years and a new (and very large) front ensemble, CV has traveled less to remain on budget. I'm not sure about horns.

The management of that corps has been exceptional. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a vet. The instructional staff has really been excellent as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

a.  No.

b.  Hell no, if you are asking about 2020 or any other year DCA is already committed to Williamsport.

c.  If the Midwest city in question happens to be anywhere in central Indiana and the date anytime near DCI finals, you are not allowed to even ask in the first place.

Why would any organization outside of the N.E. consider being part of a circuit with such a mindset? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Why would any organization outside of the N.E. consider being part of a circuit with such a mindset? 

That's the $64,000 question.

Or, in the case of CV or Govies, or any other non-NE corps who has traveled more... perhaps the $124,000 question. :laughing:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

That's the $64,000 question.

Or, in the case of CV or Govies, or any other non-NE corps who has traveled more... perhaps the $124,000 question. :laughing:

Is the green machine of the Govies still making the trip? Whoever maintains that beast has my respect...