IF........

2 hours ago, KeithHall said:

I was just thinking if the offer by a city was a good offer that gave DCA a great stadium and other perks that were better than anything they would get from a NE city.  Several years ago when Renegades, Kilties, MBI and other western corps they were able to make it to Rochester, Scranton, etc

they fundraised their ##### off or paid more to do it. Ne corps didn't have to, so they didn't look into it. hell I remember all the noise about going up to Rochester in 96. Granted the crowd was huge, but the way they decided to lay out the field had the highest ticket prices furthest from the field.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Winston Salem was pretty freakin' awesome as long as they open the near gate for the corps to roll the front ensemble through. But alas....i think that ship has passed. If southern corps can travel up north, I would think northern corps can make it to Atlanta or something similar. Make something happen with JSU and maybe involve Spirit. Alternate every 2 to 4 years.

IMO...the promoter killed that. too many promises not lived up to

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

sadly more than a few of those corps above you in those years are gone now.

True. And we had to get better. That requires time and a good plan. CV had that.

10 hours ago, KeithHall said:

.......for the heck of it.......some town/city in the Mid West made an offer to DCA that was cheaper AND better than Williamsport, Rochester or any NE city. Would DCA and its corps accept it?

1.  is it FREE

2. is there a SIGNIFICANT DISCOUNT on hotel rooms?

3. will whatever city this is bend over backwards to give the Corps every possible need fullfilled via fields, lack of hills, a fun space for Mini Corps/I&E/PantsOffDanceOff/BBQ Competition?

If you can answer yes to these 3 questions... then maybe.  

But again... the city needs to ask "what can we do to bring you here"  vs  "what can you bring to this city"

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

True. And we had to get better. That requires time and a good plan. CV had that.

they did and it's been great to see. Being at Bucs for a year in their period of coming back from near death til the 2005 explosion, it's amazing to see it happen

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

IMO...the promoter killed that. too many promises not lived up to

I would still love to know a little more about that. It seemed to be a great venue for the performers. My only complaints were from that aspect as we were 1. WAY too far from the field equipment wise to the gate. 2. Bathrooms were locked when we got there and both MM's and fans were wandering around doing the pee-pee dance and 3. The front ensemble had to march what basically amounted to parade distance to get on and off the field. 

All of those things could have been easily resolved at future contests. The nice thing about a Wake Forest kind of venue is that (to my knowledge) it hasn't been tainted by bad experiences with corps MM's and over zealous / demanding staff. I know we had a ball with Renegades. 

36 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I would still love to know a little more about that. It seemed to be a great venue for the performers. My only complaints were from that aspect as we were 1. WAY too far from the field equipment wise to the gate. 2. Bathrooms were locked when we got there and both MM's and fans were wandering around doing the pee-pee dance and 3. The front ensemble had to march what basically amounted to parade distance to get on and off the field. 

All of those things could have been easily resolved at future contests. The nice thing about a Wake Forest kind of venue is that (to my knowledge) it hasn't been tainted by bad experiences with corps MM's and over zealous / demanding staff. I know we had a ball with Renegades. 

I spent days in Winston-Salem during 2005 evaluating that site for a possible DCA Championship. Also spent hours with a few local committee members, chatted often with Tom Williams by phone, etc.  I’m not aware of the unreliability issues Jeff speaks of. However,  that was a single, small-line-up, local event.  The promoter/organizer of an actual Championship would be DCA itself who would control most everything with some local help in staffing. Different environment.

No doubt in my mind, a Championship there involving 15 additional corps, all the groups, and greater event significance would have been well worth a try. Remember, the present site (Scranton) was only drawing 4500 spectators as it were. Had I been making the official decision, I would have staged the event there, if only for one year. Winston-Salem had “good bones” as they say.

Carolina Crown is doing quite well there ever since with Nightbeat.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I spent days in Winston-Salem during 2005 evaluating that site for a possible DCA Championship. Also spent hours with a few local committee members, chatted often with Tom Williams by phone, etc.  I’m not aware of the unreliability issues Jeff speaks of. However,  that was a single, small-line-up, local event.  The promoter/organizer of an actual Championship would be DCA itself who would control most everything with some local help in staffing. Different environment.

No doubt in my mind, a Championship there involving 15 additional corps, all the groups, and greater event significance would have been well worth a try. Remember, the present site (Scranton) was only drawing 4500 spectators as it were. Had I been making the official decision, I would have staged the event there, if only for one year. Winston-Salem had “good bones” as they say.

Carolina Crown is doing quite well there ever since with Nightbeat.

I think one of the things that happened is that the event just wasn't very well advertised. But that's quite frankly fairly typical for DCA. They don't generally do a very good job of promoting the product. The monster truck event across the street drew a FAR larger crowd. That being said, a promotions group was used. You have to spend money to make money unless you want to be "niche" or cottage industry. There are plenty of folks involved in DCA (yourself probably included Fred,) that have ties to advertising and promotion. 

11 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think one of the things that happened is that the event just wasn't very well advertised. But that's quite frankly fairly typical for DCA. They don't generally do a very good job of promoting the product. The monster truck event across the street drew a FAR larger crowd. That being said, a promotions group was used. You have to spend money to make money unless you want to be "niche" or cottage industry. There are plenty of folks involved in DCA (yourself probably included Fred,) that have ties to advertising and promotion. 

True. Years ago, I did have plenty of experience with marketing and promoting the Allentown DCI and DCA events. We did some aggressive things. In 2006, I served as the actual DCA Marketing/PR Director.  One year was enough, at that point.

Now, I’m just an old man who shoots his mouth off here !

11 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

True. Years ago, I did have plenty of experience with marketing and promoting the Allentown DCI and DCA events. We did some aggressive things. In 2006, I served as the actual DCA Marketing/PR Director.  One year was enough, at that point.

Now, I’m just an old man who shoots his mouth off here !

Proof that the talent is out there in the community to leverage.