Remember Housing at US Open

Our first year (1972) we stayed at a closed school on the main road. It had toilets that flushed as soon as you stand up! Our rehearsal space was on the playground which we had to march around playground equipment. All we actually rehearsed was going out of concert due to the shortened performance time in '72.

1973 we stayed at the Fire Hall in the downtown area. Not sure where we rehearsed.

1974 we stayed at a church/school down the street from Bob's Big Boy. We rehearsed outside of the school. I do remember walking down the street to hear Blue Devils rehearsing.

1971 -the year I got left behind at the stadium- we stayed at Wesleyan Uni in Delaware.  Before anyone goes huh????  that was the name of the town Delaware, Ohio.  Great rooms and the food was fantastic!!....I can still taste the peach and blueberry cobbler.

Edited by Bucbari

2 hours ago, Bucbari said:

1971 -the year I got left behind at the stadium- we stayed at Wesleyan Uni in Delaware.  Before anyone goes huh????  that was the name of the town Delaware, Ohio.  Great rooms and the food was fantastic!!....I can still taste the peach and blueberry cobbler.

Thank you for remembering the name of that school... I had forgotten it.

I posted something about this in another thread... but I totally agree, the accommodations were top-notch and the food was great!!!

How about breakfast at Marion Cadet Hall? I remember going there in 1972 before going to Open Class Prelims. 

Speaking of prelims....I think it may have started at 8 am because it went on ALL day and then (I think) A/All Girl Finals were that night. 30 Open Corps and 36 A corps (which included 6 All-Girl corps.

This was a GREAT drum corps city!!! It was sad toward the end. I remember going there when I was on staff with the Rochester Patriots. 

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

How about breakfast at Marion Cadet Hall? I remember going there in 1972 before going to Open Class Prelims. 

Speaking of prelims....I think it may have started at 8 am because it went on ALL day and then (I think) A/All Girl Finals were that night. 30 Open Corps and 36 A corps (which included 6 All-Girl corps.

This was a GREAT drum corps city!!! It was sad toward the end. I remember going there when I was on staff with the Rochester Patriots. 

Are you related to Marion Cadet Hall?

• Haha 1