Archer-Epler Musketeer Disqualified at 1957 American Legion Nationals

Doing some  research on the Archer-Epler Musketeers.  Why were the Musketeers disqualified in the prelims at the 1957 American Legion National Championships at Atlantic City ?

The corps was in 1st place with a score of 87.68 according to DCX - Drum Corps Xperience.. Reilly Raiders were also disqualified .  What happened?

Was there a Finals competition?

Thanks for you help.

Reference

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?roomid=1304&view=decade&option=1950

7 hours ago, mellom7 said:

Doing some  research on the Archer-Epler Musketeers.  Why were the Musketeers disqualified in the prelims at the 1957 American Legion National Championships at Atlantic City ?

The corps was in 1st place with a score of 87.68 according to DCX - Drum Corps Xperience.. Reilly Raiders were also disqualified .  What happened?

Was there a Finals competition?

Thanks for you help.

Reference

http://www.dcxmuseum.org/index.cfm?roomid=1304&view=decade&option=1950

Wow... I never knew about the DQ. I"m sure that would be an interesting story, to say the least.  LOL

I hope all is well with you, Munson!!!

My guess is that both corps were in violation of the rule that existed back then that a certain minimum percentage of each senior corps had to consist of military veterans.

• Like 2

You are correct about the membership rule.  If I remember correctly, corps had to declare either 100% (all members were veterans) or 80/20 (80% of your membership were veterans).

Reilly, Archie, and Skyliners (they were called Garbarina then) Officers met and decided they would declare 80/20 and would not protest each other.  Those same Officers were shocked when they were notified, after the prelims, that they had been protested.  There was much finger pointing between the three corps.  There was even a fight when one of the Officers threw a punch at another Officer.  That Officer ducked and the culprit hit the wife!  Years later it was discovered that the protestor was Jim Costello of Hawthorne.

Ah, the stories 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Think answer might be in History of Drum Corps book Vol 1. In the scores chapter one of the AL scores has a note that some corps were DQed for non-veteran members. 

Either there or Diceman Radio/srcorps website.

And Carol remember seeing somewhere that PA AL States had Class A and B. Difference was percentage of vets but never saw numbers. Funny part was the big guns always seemed to be Class A lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 8:40 AM, Various said:

You are correct about the membership rule.  If I remember correctly, corps had to declare either 100% (all members were veterans) or 80/20 (80% of your membership were veterans).

Reilly, Archie, and Skyliners (they were called Garbarina then) Officers met and decided they would declare 80/20 and would not protest each other.  Those same Officers were shocked when they were notified, after the prelims, that they had been protested.  There was much finger pointing between the three corps.  There was even a fight when one of the Officers threw a punch at another Officer.  That Officer ducked and the culprit hit the wife!  Years later it was discovered that the protestor was Jim Costello of Hawthorne.

Ah, the stories 

good memory