Should DCI judges go all the way?

Is it time for DCI Judges to go all the way?

With contemporary designers now “mailing it in” from Japan, Canada, and England (or Paris and the Isle of Capri if one listens to the costuming blather,) the days of local drum corps is over; the “I” in DCI stands for international.  With more of the stalwarts catching contests on FloMarching rather than paying for flights/hotels/meals/tickets to view live shows, should this also prompt a change in judging drum corps contests? 

One-and-done refers now not only to Rook-outs, engineering students, med students and those too financially poor to afford the luxury of a long term marching career but also now refers to the number of live shows fans viewed within any season as recurring shows in one’s locale in the same summer are rare and uncertain. Considering the posts on DCP with the pontifications and infallible bulls from those whose only witness to the activity is through the movie houses, computers, and TV screens, one would swear that one need not be present physically in any stadium to assess a drum corps performance. In fact, DCI uses the faux-marketing mantra that it is “the major leagues of the marching arts.”  Well, doesn’t the NHL leave the judging to the League Office in Toronto, and isn’t even America’s past-time, the MLB now referring the umpires’ decisions to the video-view in the New York office? If Harrisburg and Richmond are already serving this capacity on DCP, why not make it official for Woodstock, GA and the faculty lounges of Carmel, Avon, or Logan High Schools?

Since corps aren’t doing drill any more, do we still need drill judges? Surely, they can’t see through megaprops.  Instead of arguing how many feet or inches a field percussion judge might stumble to assess a Stanford candidate, should the judge not be able to give the right numbers while ensconced safely at home while enjoying time with his loved ones and family? No longer would such judges need to dodge axes or suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Brass and color guard judges have already made the beeline to the audience seating years ago.  Why not in a nice Lazy-boy or Barcalounger the DCP judges use in their mancaves and bunkers? If in fact Tom Blair is considered by many as the chief judge of DCI by his camera direction of this or that aspect of a corps’ performance as viewed by the umpteen fans in the theaters, why not make it official and give him the power of the numbers on the score sheet? It is said by some in the Blue Devils and Crossmen camps that Tony DiCarlo and his secret agents have already been using these spy-cams in Military Park. With corps residual income seemingly down because Indy and Allentown customers are fewer while traumatic weather greater, just think of the cost savings to DCI no longer ferrying judges nationwide from one contest to another by plane, train or trailer.  Hotel and food costs will be much lower although some judges might whimper about the loss of HiltonHHonors and other business perks. Just phone in the numbers. Brandt Crocker and Dan Potter can still make their announcements (“no vuvuzelas” still for 2020) and Reliable Rondo and Dennis can join the webinar phone-in crowd like every other DCI participant. (Tony might switch to the Homeland Security color coding for the screen crowd rather than imitating the runway ground crew with their hand signals. Some judges might give him extra credit for his enhanced hue use.)

Contemporary changes in drum corps, the dissolution of tradition, the devolve to a new generation, and the entrance of modern technology prompt new perspectives to drum corps. Why not new perspectives to judging as well?  Why do judges have to be physically present? Is it time for DCI judges to go all the way off the field and out of the stadium?  Instead of worrying if DCI is as good as WGI, BOA, Texas UIL or DCA, how about a new way for a new time? What say you, home judges? Have at it.

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 4

I like waffles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, cybersnyder said:

Network connections are not 100% reliable. No. 

Was that a not together drum roll or was it the connection?

Phasing, phasing... oh wait it’s the feed that’s stuttering...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In before the virtual close. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

i2yYun3.gif

Hey it’s the guy from the Arbys commercials... Real guy looks more like Bob than Archer lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I was excited with the possibilities of where this topic might be going when I read “go all the way”.  But as I read the OP I realized quickly it was not to be. My disappointment is staggering. 

• Haha 2