Staff Changes - DCA version

Algernon

1 hour ago, BigW said:

The Blue Hen stadium's a nice one from my experience.

Indeed.  I've been there many times for football games. Just underwent a renovation, too!  No track, steep stands with about 9,000 seats between the goal lines on each side. Under grandstand protection from weather. Excellent lighting. Large adjacent field house. Much more adjacent parking than would ever be needed. Small downtown within walking distance. No sales tax for shopping, meals. About a quarter mile from an Exit  on I-95. Easy transfer from PHL airport.

Large student body on campus and very large marching band.

47 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Speaking of West Chester...LOL... the WCU Incomparable Golden Rams Marching Band was the recipient of the prestigious Sudler Trophy last weekend:

https://wcupa.edu/communications/newsroom/2019/09.18SudlerTrophy.aspx

Good stuff!  West Chester marching band has supplied NUMEROUS drum corps members/instructors over the years. Talent pool for Buccaneers for decades!

That University of Delaware Blue Hen Band ain't too shabby either!  About 250 members, great sounding.

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Good stuff!  West Chester marching band has supplied NUMEROUS drum corps members/instructors over the years. Talent pool for Buccaneers for decades!

That University of Delaware Blue Hen Band ain't too shabby either!  About 250 members, great sounding.

Two great bands, I agree.

Brenda's a WCU alum... joined Crossmen when she was there.  WCU was called "Crossmen University" by some folks back then.  LOL.

And you're right...  in general, not always the case, the pipeline for WCU members who wanted to march corps was Crossmen for DCI, then if you wanted to continue in senior/all-age, Buccaneers.... and some to Westshoremen as well. Or all three, like Brenda. 🙂

Edited by Fran Haring

18 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Indeed.  I've been there many times for football games. Just underwent a renovation, too!  No track, steep stands with about 9,000 seats between the goal lines on each side. Under grandstand protection from weather. Excellent lighting. Large adjacent field house. Much more adjacent parking than would ever be needed. Small downtown within walking distance. No sales tax for shopping, meals. About a quarter mile from an Exit  on I-95. Easy transfer from PHL airport.

That downtown area on 273 is terrific. Lots of places to eat and drink, good "college town" atmosphere. 

I worked a DCI show at the stadium in the 1990s... a good venue.

I know, I know... submit a bid. :tongue:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

I don't believe there is any difference. Perhaps changes how things are reported. What I like about the move, it places operations closer to West Chester University, a wealth of potential members there. Music majors, too! 

Love to see a Championship at University of Delaware. Could bring that a little closer to reality.

be tough to get Labor Day tho.

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

marching band led by Bucs alumnus and member of the Buglers hall of Fame Heidi Sarver

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Brenda's a WCU alum... joined Crossmen when she was there.  WCU was called "Crossmen University" by some folks back then.  LOL.

And you're right...  in general, not always the case, the pipeline for WCU members who wanted to march corps was Crossmen for DCI, then if you wanted to continue in senior/all-age, Buccaneers.... and some to Westshoremen as well. Or all three, like Brenda. 🙂

tons of Cadets too...this past year I believe SCV, Crown as well. Bush, Cabs, Fusion...you name it. and yeah one of our fearless posters here is a WCU alum right Dub?

10 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

WCU had people from Crossmen, Cadets, Westshore, Scouts, Cavaliers, Bucs, Sunrisers, and Royal Guardsmen to name a few when I was there. A lot of very fine people have gone through there. I'm quite proud that WCU has finally got the recognition it's deserved even though it's not an FBS powerhouse.

Edited by BigW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

WCU had people from Crossmen, Cadets, Westshore, Scouts, Cavaliers, Bucs, Sunrisers, and Royal Guardsmen to name a few when I was there. A lot of very fine people have gone through there. I'm quite proud that WCU has finally got the recognition it's deserved even though it's not an FBS powerhouse.

And the laughing face is for the not an FBS powerhouse line. BigW and I both went to PA state schools and Division II. 

5 hours ago, BigW said:

I wonder if that's one reason it took so long for the band to win this award... because the school is Div. 2, not top-level Div. 1.

It's been one of the best college bands anywhere for decades now.