What Year?

What year was your favorite year marching and why? Was there one show that you recall that stands out? What was special about your corps that year? You can have more than one year!

1973 was probably my favorite. Our relatively small corps finally had budget to hire some real instructors and arrangers, so we had a good show that was fun to perform. We beat some other corps that we'd never beaten before and actually won two shows that year against some decent competition. Then in '74 several key MMs left either to do other things 16-17 y/o's do or corps hop elsewhere and things went back to the pits. 

My fav was 1976!  It was the Bicentennial year with celebrations happening all over the US. We started out the season in Canton, OH and the Memorial Day weekend 2 shows in Michigan. By the second week of June we had "new" uniforms and an entirely new look. The attitude changed and we had our biggest horn line ever. Our drum line was bigger as we marched 7 snares too. We won a few shows for the first time ever and also won "A" Class at the NT Open. DCI in Philadelphia was a tough one as our director resigned before we left. We took 18th place but should have played and marched better to get a higher score and placement.

Will never forget that wonderful year. The next year the corps was left to merge and it went down hill.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:23 PM, KeithHall said:

What year was your favorite year marching and why? Was there one show that you recall that stands out? What was special about your corps that year? You can have more than one year!

I know this is a DCI thread but I'm going to choose Sunrisers in 83.  The show that stands out for me was DCA finals because we kicked ### that night.  I was a baritone player and there were only 2 3rd baris, me on one side and Ernie on the other.

It was my favorite because, after what happened to me in 82 I could leave with my head up and my pride intact.  I went over to Reading for the 84 season and never looked back.  I'll always be a Buccaneer. 

Edited by Bucbari

17 minutes ago, Bucbari said:

I know this is a DCI thread but I'm going to choose Sunrisers in 83.  The show that stands out for me was DCA finals because we kicked ### that night.  I was a baritone player and there were only 2 3rd baris, me on one side and Ernie on the other.

It was my favorite because, after what happened to me in 82 I could leave with my head up and my pride intact.  I went over to Reading for the 84 season and never looked back.  I'll always be a Buccaneer. 

Two of Sun's 10 Iron Mothers that summer!!! For 10 baris, you guys brought some serious heat. 

Junior corps... 1974 with the Manville, NJ, Sacred Heart Crusaders.  Just a fun summer all around. Small horn line...but we held our own. Really strong drum line... one of the best in the Eastern States circuit.  We had our competitive ups and downs... but a big highlight was making Class A finals at the Key to the Sea show in Ohio, and to be on the same field with corps such as Glassmen, Marquis, Seneca Princemen, Charioteers, etc.

Senior/all-age corps... 1978 with the Long Island Sunrisers. Arguably the best Sunriser corps ever. Won 14 out of 17 shows. A near-caption sweep at DCA finals (took everything but Visual). And a perfect 10 in GE Brass that night, the first in that caption in DCA history.

Edited by Fran Haring