rifles as props?

I've watched the evolution of drum corps for 60 years and no where does it resemble the military orientation of my marching days...which is great IMO...So, with what seems to be a great artistic aesthetic, why the need for rifles in an activity that has progressed so far..BTW.. this is not a gun vs. no gun issue for me, just an artistic one..I realize that some corps don.t  and that a themed show might require them..but the activity has become so grandiose that throwing rifles as opposed to something else seems to me a bit "old fashioned" ironically..I look forward to your educated observations..peace

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

I've watched the evolution of drum corps for 60 years and no where does it resemble the military orientation of my marching days...which is great IMO...So, with what seems to be a great artistic aesthetic, why the need for rifles in an activity that has progressed so far..BTW.. this is not a gun vs. no gun issue for me, just an artistic one..I realize that some corps don.t  and that a themed show might require them..but the activity has become so grandiose that throwing rifles as opposed to something else seems to me a bit "old fashioned" ironically..I look forward to your educated observations..peace

Interesting question. I would think it's more of a "better the devil you know" type of thing than anything else. Since it's a common implement which is still taught, I would think it will just take time for design to fall in line with functionality. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Some corps have used alternatives.  Some were effective, others not so much. 

Cadets used those s-shaped props in '91 in Short Ride in a Fast Machine and they were amazing.  I think they were one of the most effective alternatives. 

Remember the air blades?  That seemed to have died quickly. 

Remember the Vanguard bedposts with the tassle on the end?  I wasn't a fan. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 2

Not sure that I'm a fan of the blades. In fact, I had forgotten about them until you posted that one Continental. See...here's the thing with "implements" in my opinion. My general nature as a percussionist to go "Ohhhh shiny squirrel!!" If you change one to something "cool and different" I watch MUCH harder...which means that I pick up on timing/phasing and drops. It's like when we tried the complete flat tenors (quints.) When I went back to watch the tapes, all I saw was legs...which led to looking at feet...which led to seeing phasing. 

11 minutes ago, Continental said:

2001 Cadets used those curved colon things which weren't as effective.  Hard to get the ports aligned on tosses with that curve.

Ports?  Wut-dat?

Oh I remember seeing those used with Blast! as well. I think on the small stage, they were really pretty effective. Not as much on the field. 

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Not sure that I'm a fan of the blades. In fact, I had forgotten about them until you posted that one Continental. See...here's the thing with "implements" in my opinion. My general nature as a percussionist to go "Ohhhh shiny squirrel!!" If you change one to something "cool and different" I watch MUCH harder...which means that I pick up on timing/phasing and drops. It's like when we tried the complete flat tenors (quints.) When I went back to watch the tapes, all I saw was legs...which led to looking at feet...which led to seeing phasing. 

For those who may not know - this is an air blade.

Edited by Continental

Airblade isn't far from a Klingon Bat'leth.  Which is kinda cool to me.  

SVC used lighting bolts for Force of Nature, which looked pretty well when they hit the storm.  

3 minutes ago, Continental said:

For those who may not know what they are, this is an air blade.

Very neat. And it's GOT to be lighter and easier on the wrists than a traditional implement I would think. You would think they would be utilized more. Is there is a tremendous cost difference?