rifles as props?

For that matter why use the phrase "color guard" since there are no longer "colors" to guard?  But to your point; rifles in modern drum corps looks more like batons especially when combined with all of the dancing and emoting.  

I have a nostalgic soft spot for rifles since our corps had a good rifle line.  I hope they stick around in the future.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Making the blade much lighter would effect how  well it spun in the air. The heft is what stabilizes it during spinning and tossing. Don’t want the blade taking flight due to a wind gust.

Remember when some guards would tape washers in the straps? That was mainly used for timing but darn it was cool to hear the precise click click click of a great rifle line on a recording.

Ok I’ll go back to my cave now.

Very true. There has to be a balance. And don't sweat it. My cave is a little more modern (late 80's) but I still get questions about what we did before kevlar heads. I usually tell them we had to go out in the woods behind practice fields and hunt rabbits or kill a calf so we could skin them and get them stretched before pre-show warmup's. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

That was mainly used for timing but darn it was cool to hear the precise click click click of a great rifle line on a recording.  Ok I’ll go back to my cave now.

Love to hear the older recordings when some mm were up close and hear the feet hitting the ground.  You're hibernating early this year S.

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Love to hear the older recordings when some mm were up close and hear the feet hitting the ground.  You're hibernating early this year S.

Stayed up to watch SNL.....

14 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I still laugh when I think about seeing a guard dressed in evening gown type attire tossing around rifles back in the late 80s. Could you imagine someone unfamiliar with the activity seeing that for the first time? Wha???

A rifle line can be impressive when used in the proper context. 

*cough*santaclaravanguard1988and1989*cough*

Sorry I had a tickle in the back of my throat....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Continental said:

I'll need a guard person to confirm, but rifles are now much lighter than they used to be.  I think there are several guards in the '70s who spun rifles that were very heavy. 

I never marched drum corps but we used drum corps fiberglass rifles in the late 70s and they weighed about 4 lbs.  i could toss (and catch!) a quad with one, and always wondered how high i could toss the ones they use now!