rifles as props?

7 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Kingsmen color guard did it first in 1973’s “off the line” (ancient term?) and again in 1974 at the end of drum solo. A man named Stanley Knaub invented it.  PR did a version later in, I think, 1977, 1978?

At the time we thought it looked familiar. Ha Ha!

Here's Kingsmen's off-the-line from '73.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 8:44 AM, waliman4444 said:

I've watched the evolution of drum corps for 60 years and no where does it resemble the military orientation of my marching days...which is great IMO...So, with what seems to be a great artistic aesthetic, why the need for rifles in an activity that has progressed so far..BTW.. this is not a gun vs. no gun issue for me, just an artistic one..I realize that some corps don.t  and that a themed show might require them..but the activity has become so grandiose that throwing rifles as opposed to something else seems to me a bit "old fashioned" ironically..I look forward to your educated observations..peace

23 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Very neat. And it's GOT to be lighter and easier on the wrists than a traditional implement I would think. You would think they would be utilized more. Is there is a tremendous cost difference?

6 pages in and I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned that the WGI winter crowd went through this whole rifle vs. other equipment debate a decade ago resulting in the oblige that units use rifles and not other equipment. Dig into WGI archives for that elongated discussion. Since most dinos believe that whatever happens in WGI and BOA during those other seasons of the year follows into DCI during the summer..., the OP's question might have a simple answer.

• Like 1