New Membership Structure

DCI has their strategic plan posted on DCI.org.  It lists a number of specific initiatives, with clear timelines for planning and progress.  Some of these topics sound like potentially compelling off-season conversation.

For instance, these two:

B.1. Enhance DCI membership structure and benefits to broaden participation and unity.  Assign to the Governance Committee and the Membership Affairs Committee to undertake the research and development to propose to the DCI Board of Directors by the 1st quarter of FY 2019 for approval of a new membership structure and related benefits that would be instituted in calendar year 2020.

B.2. Develop comprehensive criteria to define the baseline operational standards for all levels of membership as well as participating organizations.  Membership Affairs Committee will develop a proposal for the DCI Board of Directors to consider.  The recommendation will take place by the 4th quarter of FY 2018 for approval of a new membership structure that would be instituted in calendar year 2020.

The deadlines for recommendations have passed, and it is nearly implementation time.  What do you suppose is happening?  What would you like/recommend?

On 9/30/2019 at 9:39 AM, cixelsyd said:

DCI has their strategic plan posted on DCI.org.  It lists a number of specific initiatives, with clear timelines for planning and progress.  Some of these topics sound like potentially compelling off-season conversation.

For instance, these two:

B.1. Enhance DCI membership structure and benefits to broaden participation and unity.  Assign to the Governance Committee and the Membership Affairs Committee to undertake the research and development to propose to the DCI Board of Directors by the 1st quarter of FY 2019 for approval of a new membership structure and related benefits that would be instituted in calendar year 2020.

B.2. Develop comprehensive criteria to define the baseline operational standards for all levels of membership as well as participating organizations.  Membership Affairs Committee will develop a proposal for the DCI Board of Directors to consider.  The recommendation will take place by the 4th quarter of FY 2018 for approval of a new membership structure that would be instituted in calendar year 2020.

The deadlines for recommendations have passed, and it is nearly implementation time.  What do you suppose is happening?  What would you like/recommend?

Those are too vague for me to know what they might mean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This plan being floated by Major League Baseball reminded me a little of the G7 plan in DCI nine years ago:

MLB Proposal Would Eliminate 42 Minor League Teams.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:19 AM, FTNK said:

I’m guessing the strategic plan was written up by some consulting firm and no one with actual power in DCI has looked at them, let alone cared

From the little I've heard, that's not my impression.

And why on earth pay for a consulting firm (they aren't cheap!) if you're just going to ignore their report?

On 10/19/2019 at 2:01 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

This plan being floated by Major League Baseball reminded me a little of the G7 plan in DCI nine years ago:

MLB Proposal Would Eliminate 42 Minor League Teams.

I read the whole.darn.thing and yea, there are some parallels.  But it appears that the "pruning" being suggested still leaves a VERY healthy Minor League and Major League and a strong bond between them.  "Trimming" doesn't closely describe what the G7 wanted to do.

Interesting real best suited for avid baseball fans.  I'm disappointed that the story's leads can't be corroborated and sourced, but it was a good read anyway.

On 10/19/2019 at 2:19 AM, FTNK said:

I’m guessing the strategic plan was written up by some consulting firm and no one with actual power in DCI has looked at them, let alone cared

I'm very confident in saying that this is not the case.  The Executive and his office staff created and presented it, plain and simple.