New Membership Structure

4 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, let's say not BDB but rather... Madison Scouts becomes a "minor league" feeder corps for Blue Devils.

I still see them going elsewhere for talent.  If the Scouts are still WC and they are not finishing consistently in the top 8, no matter how much involvement the BD have with the corps, the BD will contract mm from other corps.  Sure, the Scouts might have some great talent that the BD could use, but I'm thinking another WC as a feeder corps for another WC corps isn't worth the time, energy, and financial support.  For the most part the BD already have BDB, BDC, and maybe PC(?) as feeder corps.  This type of arrangement might end up with too many egos and management issues.

59 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I don’t know if OC is a competitor for WC. For one thing the shows attract smaller crowds, often times family members and friends, there are usually not WC shows nearby and if it in close range of a WC show, the OC corps compete in the WC shows.  That being said, I have found that many WC corps that view anything that interferes with their operations, no matter how small, as competition. Drum corps does not have that much of an understanding of working collaboratively. A few months back a poster in another thread suggested the value of buying power, and it was panned as a terrible idea. The ironic thing: if people knew the identity of the OP (some folks do) and his real world credentials and success, they’d have to eat their words.

From the perspective of competing in shows, I agree with you.  But in the context of "sharing" revenue - even revenue due to the "Major League Drum Corps" (MLDC) - with the "Minor League Drum Corps" (MiLDC) the two classes are clear competitors for attention and dollars.  You hit my point exactly on the nose.  

The article referenced talks about the MLB teams wanting to spend money in the MiLB facilities and players along with their own, and wants to redirect $$ now going to the bottom 45% into the AAA ball teams.  While I realize that, in many years, the top of OC are the junior corps of WC, there are few formal agreements I'm aware of between WC and OC corps that create a similar direct line of recruitment like the "farm team" breeding grounds even remotely similar to the MLB/MiLB symbiosis. 

Deadspin had actually a pretty good review of this proposal. MLB is coming from the stance that because of advanced training and technology they don’t need as many players going through the minors as before, and kind of ignores the whole baseball-as-entertainment aspect.

For DCI, no matter what “popular perception” is Open Class isn’t a formal feeder system for World Class. OC has a tremendous number of retained members and age outs too.  Kids may move on to other bigger corps, but if nothing else, competitive results show there is considerable overlap between the divisions. 

Mike

• Like 3

On 10/24/2019 at 1:10 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, among several reasons that high school bands might not make good feeder programs for drum corps is that...

...drum corps don't need woodwind players.

.... for now... muhahahahahahaaa....

I guess I'm not sure what the membership structure system would look like... so far the discussion has been compared to the Major/Minor leagues of Baseball... 

Is DCI asking that WC groups create a required feeder program of their choice? Like, each parent organization start up a SoundSport/DLBattle/WGI ensemble/OC corps of their choice to demonstrate that they have a more solid year-to-year funding source?