New Membership Structure

On 10/19/2019 at 2:01 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

This plan being floated by Major League Baseball reminded me a little of the G7 plan in DCI nine years ago:

MLB Proposal Would Eliminate 42 Minor League Teams.

Was still thinking about this...

Slicing off the bottom of the baseball teams might make sense, but AAA teams are still a very, very important resource for the Majors.

Why has drum corps "Major League" never fully developed the feeder channel of Open Class with the same importance that baseball supports the minor leagues?  Aren't the OC players THE deep end of the experience pool for the drum corps idiom?  

Why is OC considered a competitor to WC?

2 minutes ago, garfield said:

Slicing off the bottom of the baseball teams might make sense, but AAA teams are still a very, very important resource for the Majors.

Why has drum corps "Major League" never fully developed the feeder channel of Open Class with the same importance that baseball supports the minor leagues?  Aren't the OC players THE deep end of the experience pool for the drum corps idiom?  

Are you envisioning a system in which, say, Blue Devils B loses some of its best players mid-season when they're "called up" to Blue Devils?

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Are you envisioning a system in which, say, Blue Devils B loses some of its best players mid-season when they're "called up" to Blue Devils?

Well, I suppose, but I'd think it might make sense to start with annual "call-ups" instead of mid-season.

I'm more curious about why much smarter people than I about "Major League" haven't developed the feeder/development system that baseball enjoys.  HS bands would be the feeder to OC in that world.

I'm also wondering if this smacks of the G7 proposal to carve up the activity into competing leagues that have separate tours and championships.  Except MLB's method doesn't throw the minors under the bus and cut them off as the G7 imagined.

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, I suppose, but I'd think it might make sense to start with annual "call-ups" instead of mid-season.

I'm more curious about why much smarter people than I about "Major League" haven't developed the feeder/development system that baseball enjoys.  HS bands would be the feeder to OC in that world.

I'm also wondering if this smacks of the G7 proposal to carve up the activity into competing leagues that have separate tours and championships.  Except MLB's method doesn't throw the minors under the bus and cut them off as the G7 imagined.

Along those lines, or perhaps completely off base here...LOL...  I've wondered why the Jacksonville State-Spirit alliance (for lack of a better word) didn't work better than it did, several years back.

It seemed, on paper at least, to be a natural fit. A great college band providing membership opportunities for a DCI World Class corps... in effect, being the "summer marching band" for the university.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the situation could post here as to why it eventually didn't work out.

7 hours ago, garfield said:

Well, among several reasons that high school bands might not make good feeder programs for drum corps is that...

...drum corps don't need woodwind players.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, garfield said:

easy. Money. Look at how it gets paid to WC and OC.

and baseball has like 3/4 levels of A ball, many only playing half seasons, then they have fall and winter ball teams too.

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, among several reasons that high school bands might not make good feeder programs for drum corps is that...

...drum corps don't need woodwind players.

Yet. 

Where else do you find large numbers of people playing brass or drums? Marching bands are the obvious recruitment pool. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, garfield said:

I don’t know if OC is a competitor for WC. For one thing the shows attract smaller crowds, often times family members and friends, there are usually not WC shows nearby and if it in close range of a WC show, the OC corps compete in the WC shows.  That being said, I have found that many WC corps that view anything that interferes with their operations, no matter how small, as competition. Drum corps does not have that much of an understanding of working collaboratively. A few months back a poster in another thread suggested the value of buying power, and it was panned as a terrible idea. The ironic thing: if people knew the identity of the OP (some folks do) and his real world credentials and success, they’d have to eat their words.

On 10/23/2019 at 3:26 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

With the way corps are run now, I don't think a lot of BDB get offered contracts after auditions.  The BD mostly get their talent from other WC corps mm who want to spend their last year or two with a corps who is always in the top 2/3 picked to get a ring.

16 minutes ago, Ghost said:

With the way corps are run now, I don't think a lot of BDB get offered contracts after auditions.  The BD mostly get their talent from other WC corps mm who want to spend their last year or two with a corps who is always in the top 2/3 picked to get a ring.

Well, let's say not BDB but rather... Madison Scouts becomes a "minor league" feeder corps for Blue Devils.