Event Management Model

Following is another DCI strategic initiative that sounds interesting.

A.2. Evaluate and implement improved event management model for increased effectiveness and resource efficiency.  Create an ad hoc committee with representation from DCI management, member corps and Tour Event Partners (TEPs) to evaluate the effectiveness of the current decentralized tour event management structure, determine the advantages and disadvantages of moving to a single DCI event management model, and make recommendations to the DCI Board of Directors by the second quarter of FY 2019 for approval of any significant changes to the event management model to be instituted in FY 2020.

(I believe "decentralized" refers to the continued existence of a distinct sub-organization for the Pacific region under the DCI operational umbrella.  It could also conceivably apply to open-class.  I do not think "single DCI event management model" means the elimination of TEPs, but if I am mistaken, someone please correct me.)

The deadlines for recommendations have passed, and it is nearly implementation time.  What do you suppose is happening?  What would you like/recommend?

i can't imagine DCI wants to take this task on. it would require hiring a lot of people

15 hours ago, MikeN said:

Note: I have zero inside knowledge on this, but it does for me sound like eliminating TEPs.  

I am getting feedback offline from multiple sources.  It sounds like the idea of moving away from TEPs has come up elsewhere in the strategic plan.

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

I am getting feedback offline from multiple sources.  It sounds like the idea of moving away from TEPs has come up elsewhere in the strategic plan.

DCI would have to drastically alter their infrastructure. You'll need more people in the office to coordinate this, and you'll need more boots on the ground at the events

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

DCI would have to drastically alter their infrastructure. You'll need more people in the office to coordinate this, and you'll need more boots on the ground at the events

True but, if it frees up corps assets to do what THEY do best (produce entertainment) instead of acting as show hosts, wouldn't it be better for both DCI and the corps if they could pull it off?

Plus, the commonality of messaging, platform , and placement would probably pay dividends (consistency if not financial) across the activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

True but, if it frees up corps assets to do what THEY do best (produce entertainment) instead of acting as show hosts, wouldn't it be better for both DCI and the corps if they could pull it off?

Plus, the commonality of messaging, platform , and placement would probably pay dividends (consistency if not financial) across the activity.

would the corps make more money? After all, more DCI staff salary is less money for the corps. Yes being hosts can be a pain, but they (usually) make money

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

would the corps make more money? After all, more DCI staff salary is less money for the corps. Yes being hosts can be a pain, but they (usually) make money

Maybe consider:

- corps need fewer volunteers to run shows, fewer staff

- all revenue flows to DCI, particularly that which flows now to non-drum corps entities like school band programs

- consistency of messaging could (could) improve attendance

- better ticket-pricing elasticity; show tickets will likely reflect the cost/benefit metric of DCI instead of the show promoter.  Likely ticket price increases across the tour at a consistent and decreasing rate to measure efficacy to the pivot point of the supply/demand pricing curve

- sponsorships from equipment/other suppliers would offer more consistent value justifying higher placement costs

- rescheduling the tour to fewer/bigger shows could (could) produce less reduction in demand than increase in revenue

- among other possibilities...

There's lots of hair on the idea that needs combed straight, but I think the idea is worth considering seriously for no other reason than it's never been seriously considered.

3 minutes ago, garfield said:

- all revenue flows to DCI, particularly that which flows now to non-drum corps entities like school band programs

I get the allure of trying to funnel all of the revenue direct to DCI.  However, I wonder if they can truly pull off hosting shows around the country without the involvement of some of the groups currently hosting/running shows.  Even with a reduced slate of shows, it still takes a local presence & herd of volunteers to make a show a success.  Simple things like access to stadiums and other community assets often times are a result of established connections made through the local host. 

Not to mention, some of those groups have been hosting shows for decades.  I can't imagine them being thrilled with the idea of losing out on their fundraising/revenue stream.  Example - July 3rd show in Cedarburg, WI:

The Rotary Music Festival is sponsored by the Cedarburg-Grafton Rotary Club with all proceeds supporting student scholarships and community service. The event has raised more than $750,000 during its 20-year history.