Event Management Model

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

no because you don't factor in the cost for DCI to staff

Revenue, not profit.

DCI gets the whole gate and subtracts costs.  Your presumption is that the net is less than it is now.  I'm not so sure.

If a typical (and I don't know that there IS "typical" on the DC tour) Indy-TEP pays the DCI contract and clears, say, $25,000 then DCI has $25,000 to spend on the cost of running that Indy-TEP show.  And even if a show clears $10,000, does it take all of that to rent the facility, pay the venue help, and leave a little left to spread among the performing corps?

Geography plays a part of course (show in CA cost more but they also generate more revenue, too) but, on the surface, it appears there is profit left on the table (or at the Indy-host's) school.

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

Revenue, not profit.

DCI gets the whole gate and subtracts costs.  Your presumption is that the net is less than it is now.  I'm not so sure.

If a typical (and I don't know that there IS "typical" on the DC tour) Indy-TEP pays the DCI contract and clears, say, $25,000 then DCI has $25,000 to spend on the cost of running that Indy-TEP show.  And even if a show clears $10,000, does it take all of that to rent the facility, pay the venue help, and leave a little left to spread among the performing corps?

Geography plays a part of course (show in CA cost more but they also generate more revenue, too) but, on the surface, it appears there is profit left on the table (or at the Indy-host's) school.

time will tell. Problem is if it flops, you have a whole lot of ###### of INDY's that may not want to get back in the game.

Plus with fewer shows, the availablity of eyeballs viewing the product is reduced. 20 years ago in my region, you could easily get 6/7 regular season shows within 2 hours AND DCI East. Now....3....well maybe 2 depending on if Chester is moved and where, and most being on weeknights limits the options to drive 2 hours

On 10/1/2019 at 4:13 PM, garfield said:

True but, if it frees up corps assets to do what THEY do best (produce entertainment) instead of acting as show hosts, wouldn't it be better for both DCI and the corps if they could pull it off?

Plus, the commonality of messaging, platform , and placement would probably pay dividends (consistency if not financial) across the activity.

Boston Crusaders, Cadets, and Crown seem to manage hosting shows rather well, and I’m not sure any of the three would want to give up hosting. BAC has already promised what they believe will be their best competition featuring the biggest names for their 80th anniversary.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:07 PM, xandandl said:

Spot on Jeff......this proposal, very reminiscent of GH/Gibb's G-7 proposal further distances drum corps from the local contacts. It's a suicide mission for the activity.

What I enjoy about attending some shows is the “personality” many shows have. Even shows hosted by the same corps can vary a bit. Local shows also feed into larger shows and larger shows feed into local. A few years back I attended NightBEAT and the talk was all Atlanta. If I go to CYO Nationals Tribute, the big question in the stands “What time are you leaving for Allentown?”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

Boston Crusaders, Cadets, and Crown seem to manage hosting shows rather well, and I’m not sure any of the three would want to give up hosting. BAC has already promised what they believe will be their best competition featuring the biggest names for their 80th anniversary.

Which is the reason, Tim, that I specified corps-TEPs vs. Indy-TEPs.  I agree that corps running shows are revenue like corps running bingo.  Great.  It gives more corps a revenue source that is not related to themselves.

There are 40 or so Indy-TEP's.  Could corps-run show managers expand to consume and run them all, or those that leave the tour largely intact?

What if DCI had to only run 20 shows and determine that the other 20 aren't worth saving?  Isn't shutting them down an example of the smart "business sense" expected of the DCI leadership?

Edited by garfield

What if EVERY World Class drum corps were requested (required?) to run three shows?  Or four?  If they are so profitable, why not try to expand the territory?

Bluecoats run Pittsburg, PC runs SoCal... EDIT:  AND the Rose Bowl.

Edited by garfield

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

BAC has already promised what they believe will be their best competition featuring the biggest names for their 80th anniversary.

"Promised what they believe" is not quite 100% but sounds like a great Gala II possibilities.  Does this mean DCI is going to work with them and the line up, and will IA&M have to make it worth while for some corps to be there?  Boston assisted (supposedly paid back during the season)the BD in 15 to attend the first Tanglewood brass concert.

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ghost said:

"Promised what they believe" is not quite 100% but sounds like a great Gala II possibilities.  Does this mean DCI is going to work with them and the line up, and will I&AM have to make it worth while for some corps to be there?  Boston assisted (supposedly paid back during the season)the BD in 15 to attend the first Tanglewood brass concert.

Dood...your history...excellent

(BC is very much able to challenge the west coast juggernauts) 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

time will tell. Problem is if it flops, you have a whole lot of ###### of INDY's that may not want to get back in the game.

Plus with fewer shows, the availablity of eyeballs viewing the product is reduced. 20 years ago in my region, you could easily get 6/7 regular season shows within 2 hours AND DCI East. Now....3....well maybe 2 depending on if Chester is moved and where, and most being on weeknights limits the options to drive 2 hours

A whole lot of ... what?

The availability of product is supply.  Demand, in bigger venues and bigger shows, will define the impact on DCI's income statement.

Fewer shows, bigger venues, broader lineup, higher ticket prices.  "Finals week - light".