Redesign the Tour

21 hours ago, xandandl said:

this benefits Midwest fans. The rest of us would have to pay for transportation and housing/board. Since its start in '72, DCI has always struggled with the Midwest (Mafia) as they were often termed vs. the experiences of those on the coasts Atlantic, Pacific, and Gulf. Madison Scouts for a few years proudly wore tee-shirts referring to themselves as Coastbusters.

I think you could find another way to describe the original group's desires by not repeating characterizations that some, if not many, of Italian descent would find insulting.

Plus, I think it's wrong to appropriate the feelings of the DCI founders to the member corps of today.

I, personally, am not offended and often laud my mafia roots, but "Fredo" Cuomo might disagree.Ā 

šŸ˜€

Ā 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, garfield said:

I think you could find another way to describe the original group's desires by not repeating characterizations that some, if not many, of Italian descent would find insulting.

Plus, I think it's wrong to appropriate the feelings of the DCI founders to the member corps of today.

I, personally, am not offended and often laud my mafia roots, but "Fredo" Cuomo might disagree.Ā 

šŸ˜€

Ā 

which is why I put it in quotes. Besides, is not George Bonfiglio himself of Italian descent? In fact you don't know my entireĀ DNA do you? Typically, you are making presumptions on the motives of others.

Side note: On Sunday I co-hosted at the local Italian-American club he annual pre-Columbus Day parade cultural presentation.Ā 

44 minutes ago, xandandl said:

The term referred to the first CEO and his wife,plus Bob Briske and staff, etc. all who were came from the greater Chicago area where DCI hqs. were ALWAYS until the move to Indy, despite the FACT that the first 12 corps came from across the nation. Only in the later half of the second decade of DCI did that Chicago influence seem to welcome others from outside the region in the power positions beyond the BoD and the implementationĀ decisions of BOD discussion. I'm referring to the day to day workings of DCI plus who staffed what at Championships and regionalĀ .

In my opinion, the single most influential DCI employee in those two decades was not even from the same time zone as Chicago.Ā  (Don Whiteley)

• Like 3

Question:

Ok, how many dinos does it take to keep a thread on topic?

Xandandl,Ā that term was coined in a different era. Iā€™m sure it was meant lovingly.....but back to point. What is more cost effective for drum corps as a whole?Ā Regional touringĀ model with a greater emphasis on local participation, or the current model?

Answer:

One, a very large contra playing T-Rex.

Ā 

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

šŸ˜€

Ā 

How you doin?

2 hours ago, garfield said:

Very few corps spend half of your $1.8mm to $2mm per year to field a show.Ā  Most do it with little more than member dues (150 members at $4m each = $600,000).

Corps don't need "vested" members, they just need a full corps each year of kids who pay their dues.Ā  It doesn't matter where members come from.

Looking at the 990s of most corps will NOT validate that a "majority" of their financial support comes from either private or corporate donations.Ā  And people have been dying for a long time both before and after 1972.

"Non-correlated Income Streams" are pie in the sky for most orgs (as much as I agree with the premise).Ā  What benefit does any MM get from marching corps?Ā  If a small percentage of them are doing it to pad their resume (I know a drummer who marched two years at BD, then bailed to do other percussion things because he had his "resume booster"), they may still have loyalty to the corps that got them there.Ā  If (s)he gets a better job because of BD, (s)he might still credit them with financial support.

Family/friend at shows still follows the same path of less attendance for each year the MM marches, and I look at family attendance a little differently than "regional".Ā  Let's say a kid from Georgia has a choice to march BD or Crown.Ā  If he goes to BD, his family/friends see her perform in Atlanta and/or at Crown's show a few hundred miles away, and if she stays with Crown, the parents will get, maybe, one or two more viewings before/during tour.Ā  But, if a MM from MS goes to Crown (the closer of the two), are the parents going to see her march more than if she had gone to CA to march BD?

"National" viewership is more important to the activity than is "regional" viewership.

Ā 

Besides being contentiousĀ your point is?Ā 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, garfield said:

šŸ˜€

Ā 

Uh oh. You are going down the stairs.Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Uh oh. You are going down the stairs.Ā 

hit me again and make it good

• Haha 1

FWIW: Based on a mix of available 2016 and 2015 990s, a recent average total expense for 24 WC corps' nonprofit organizations was about $1.5 million. Revenue about the same, no surprise.

The range is wide - from about $387,000 for Pioneer to about $5,577,000 for YEA. 12 WC corps' nonprofitsĀ recorded expenses of over $1 million. And if you take out the top five highest expense organizations, the average drops to about $961,000.

You all likely know that differences exist in theĀ nonprofit models. (BD's opening of more bingo operations in the past two years, such as at the Turf Club in Berkeley, may well push gaming revenue toward $35 million this year. They pay out almost all of that.)Ā And so not all of the revenues and expenses for many of the nonprofits are directly related to corps activities. Certainly, the average budget for running the drum corps, and excluding other activities, is less than $1.5 million. But I'd guess at over $1 million.

990s aren't bad for large summary items. They can be messy if trying to make comparisons with details.Ā