Redesign the Tour

4 hours ago, denmum said:

Jeff-one reason why I agreed with you about having 8 to 10 corps' was thinking back to the closest show to both of us (before I moved to SC) -the Hershey (PA) show. We both know that is a relatively small town but we were getting a nice amount of corps' every year. I doubt if it was housing concerns that did that show in, but I could be wrong.

Hershey is dead for drum corps. But yes, as recentlyas 2004, you got 5/6 DCI corps, 4/5 DCA corps and the Marines for less than $20.

or you can go to Allentown in late June for 4/5 DCi corps and pay at least $40. nah, i'll watch if it's on Flo

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, denmum said:

Absolutely agree on both accounts. And 8 to 10 corps' should usually not cause a big problem.

or possibly a two day event, with half the corps performing the first day, moving on while the other half perform the second day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricS said:

or possibly a two day event, with half the corps performing the first day, moving on while the other half perform the second day.

For one ticket price?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:40 PM, cixelsyd said:

In my opinion, the single most influential DCI employee in those two decades was not even from the same time zone as Chicago.  (Don Whiteley)

I first met Don in the early summer of 1976 in Atlanta, and quickly realized that he was a show marketing genius. I had just graduated from high school, and our band booster club was sponsoring the first DCI show in the southeast later that summer at Georgia Tech's Grant Field, part of a tour and series of shows that Don was promoting for DCI. I, along with our drum major, were marching that summer with the Birmingham Charioteers, a Class A corps from Alabama.

Don flew into Atlanta for a week and he, my h.s drum major and myself spent several days going to all of the TV and radio stations in Atlanta pimping the upcoming Drums Across America show. It must have worked, because 14,000 people showed up at Grant Field to see the Blue Stars, Royal Crusaders, Crossmen, CapitolAires, Sancions, Black Knights, Charioteers and Bleu Raiders.

Don later moved to Atlanta and started a very successful parade production company. Rest in Peace, Don. DCI sure could use your expertise now in maximizing the tour model.

Edited by oldsoprano
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

I first met Don in the early summer of 1976 in Atlanta, and quickly realized that he was a show marketing genius. I had just graduated from high school, and our band booster club was sponsoring the first DCI show in the southeast later that summer at Georgia Tech's Grant Field, part of a tour and series of shows that Don was promoting for DCI. I, along with our drum major, were marching that summer with the Birmingham Charioteers, a Class A corps from Alabama.

Don flew into Atlanta for a week and he, my h.s drum major and myself spent several days going to all of the TV and radio stations in Atlanta pimping the upcoming Drums Across America show. It must have worked, because 14,000 people showed up at Grant Field to see the Blue Stars, Royal Crusaders, Crossmen, CapitolAires, Sancions, Black Knights, Charioteers and Bleu Raiders.

Don later moved to Atlanta and started a very successful parade production company. Rest in Peace, Don. DCI sure could use your expertise now in maximizing the tour model.

I remember that tour well.  It was also the inaugural stop for Sevierville, TN (in fact, we picked up at least two members after that show).  As I recall, every stop had MANY people in the stands and their response to (in many cases, I'm sure) their first drum corps experiences was very enthusiastic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

The Charioteers!!!  Saw you guys a few times in 1973 and '74. Terrific corps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldsoprano said:

I attended the DCI BoD meeting in Denver in 1978 when Don was let go. Part of the discussion was in super-secret executive session and some of us waited outside for the "founders" to finish their discussion and vote. You fail to mention that Don is the one who gave us Jackson, MS. plus Birmingham, AL finals sites. Colorful character for sure. DCI was aided in its origin by his efforts for sure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gak27 said:

I remember that tour well.  It was also the inaugural stop for Sevierville, TN (in fact, we picked up at least two members after that show).  As I recall, every stop had MANY people in the stands and their response to (in many cases, I'm sure) their first drum corps experiences was very enthusiastic.

and that show will forever live in Crossmen history

• Like 2