Redesign the Tour

On 9/30/2019 at 3:39 PM, garfield said:

So few venues can handle 40-odd corps caravans, let alone finding housing and rehearsal space.

It's hard to make the math work, though.  Four shows per week of "four or five corps", on average, plus a bigger weekend show brings more revenue than a single show per week of 7 or 8 corps.

I'm sure DCI has all of these numbers, but many corps go hand-to-mouth show-by-show, so it doesn't seem to me to be an easy answer to just reduce the number, and increase the size, of the tour stops.

Agree. The more shows the better, even if they are 4 to 5 corps. Sometimes it's nice to attend a local show that's not too long and that leaves you time to go out and do something after the show. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. The more shows the better, even if they are 4 to 5 corps. Sometimes it's nice to attend a local show that's not too long and that leaves you time to go out and do something after the show. 

And the reality, of course, is that a show "extravaganza" is a weekend-only type of show.

That also means that the corps traveling long distances, like the CA corps may be "dead-heading" longer distances between major shows while also dealing with driver limitations from the DOL.  Driving all night to get to the next practice field would likely not be part of the schedule.  More likely drive straight there, stay in hotels, and find a practice field that can handle you. 

For bigger regional shows anyway.

Fewer shows and bigger payouts would almost require it but, then again, I don't run a drum corps or DCI.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:01 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

IIRC that is where & when the DQ happened.

'twas...announced as they were leaving the field/trooping the stands after retreat.  A horn (I believe it was a baritone) flew out of the horn block after the announcement was made...

23 hours ago, gak27 said:

'twas...announced as they were leaving the field/trooping the stands after retreat.  A horn (I believe it was a baritone) flew out of the horn block after the announcement was made...

Interesting that this DQ has not sparked the recriminations & drama of Bayonne or 'chachos.

Any idea why?

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Interesting that this DQ has not sparked the recriminations & drama of Bayonne or 'chachos.

Any idea why?

they didn't fight it

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

they didn't fight it

Yep.

Plus, maybe because they weren't a slam-dunk finalist/top-tier contender like the other two corps in 1975 and '77?

15 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep.

Plus, maybe because they weren't a slam-dunk finalist/top-tier contender like the other two corps in 1975 and '77?

During that time Westshoremen did a round robin of concerts with Crossmen and Buccaneers. From what I overheard from either staff or volunteers (not sure which) spring the next year they were POed because some other corps did it without penalty but they would be back. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Any idea why?

Oh, there was drama.  According to what I have heard, someone associated with another nearby corps actually traveled down to Sevierville to identify the overage marcher.  The disqualification occurred at the first show of a two-week Southern tour.  As I understand it, Crossmen were already committed to the tour at that point, and thus ended up doing a tour of unpaid exhibition performances.

• Like 1

I’m sure there had to have been drama involved with Crossmen in 1976, it just wasn’t as visible. I took a quick look at Crossmen’s 1976 scores because even though I saw them live that year, I could not recall how competitive they were. Perhaps they could have squeaked into finals, it was still a bit of a long shot. Muchachos in 1975 and Bridgemen in 1977 were more serious contenders for a top three spot, which naturally feeds into conspiracy theories and heated accusations. I would wonder if the disqualification had taken place during finals week and Crossmen had edged closer to Garfield Cadets who placed 14th or had placed higher in prior competitions that involved Seneca Optimists, Guardsmen or Freelancers (then Capital Freelancers) all of whom made finals for the first time, we would have heard the disqualification was to keep an East Coast corps such as Crossmen out of finals.