Redesign the Tour

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, not as visible.  All DQ corps performed during championship week except for 1976 Crossmen.

How many other corps were disqualified in 1976?

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Yes, not as visible.  All DQ corps performed during championship week except for 1976 Crossmen.

all the others had the excitement explode during finals week

I'm sure tons of people have said this about some of my posts, but...

I'm finding it hard to understand how DQs are related to redesigning the tour.

I'm still hoping we'll discuss what a new, redesigned tour might look like.  

Remember, the singular goal is to increase revenue.  No other restructuring is worth considering.  If it doesn't increase revenue, it won't be considered.

There are 100 or so shows.  Roughly 40% of them are run by Indy-TEPs.  The revenue (and expenses, $1 to Ream) that those Indy-TEP's are now enjoying would, instead and presumably, be funnelled through DCI.  Profits and losses.

The tour might also have to be shortened to take advantage of perceived economies of scale (of fans, in this case).  

What would that look like?  I used to have a GREAT show (THE BEST!  :whistle:) just five miles away until a few years ago.  Now I've got a two hour ride in two directions to see a show.  

Personally, the corps' directors and designers have to make the shows exciting enough for me to make that drive.

6 hours ago, garfield said:

Remember, the singular goal is to increase revenue.  No other restructuring is worth considering.  If it doesn't increase revenue, it won't be considered.

unless finals is going to be moved, i don't see a need to do it

6 hours ago, garfield said:

There are 100 or so shows.  Roughly 40% of them are run by Indy-TEPs.  The revenue (and expenses, $1 to Ream) that those Indy-TEP's are now enjoying would, instead and presumably, be funnelled through DCI.  Profits and losses.

The tour might also have to be shortened to take advantage of perceived economies of scale (of fans, in this case).  

What would that look like?  I used to have a GREAT show (THE BEST!  :whistle:) just five miles away until a few years ago.  Now I've got a two hour ride in two directions to see a show.  

Personally, the corps' directors and designers have to make the shows exciting enough for me to make that drive.

and that will affect a lot of people. it's not like every show is selling out now, even the bigger ones

13 hours ago, garfield said:

1.  I think (hope) you meant to say "profit".  If we just want more revenue, we could run 10,000 shows all over the globe and tour 12 months a year, expenses be ######.

2.  And if #1 holds, then I think restructuring that lowers expenses ought to be considered.

16 hours ago, garfield said:

I agree with you on the first three sentences.

Your opinions in sentences 5, 6, 7 are disputable. For example:

IF the current audiences for shows on tour are bored with either product or venue, future tours may see  revenue diminish; if adequate housing and rehearsal facilities continue to vanish (whatever the reasons) current tour model proves inadequate for future tours. The challenges to the use of mega-props and movable props by venue holders who deem the props dangerous to the venue (as happened at two contests this past summer, Chester being the more notorious) presumes that tour will be shifted at least to some degree for this and future summers. Cancelled or curtailed shows would influence revenue; audience reacting to mega-priced shows for curtailed or limited (small) number of performing corps would begin to influence revenue if replacement crowds cannot be substituted into the tour model.  The Bristol show is one example where the megaprop shows found venues inadequate, crowds start to diminish, and tours began to shift as corps headed to Carolina. A wonderful experience and tradition of Americana New England style was lost by DCI. 

Revenue (per qua) alone is not the only consideration at the table for the discussion of tour shifts and re-writes. Revenue is but one consideration and not always the largest when corps cease to have places to rehearse, regroup, and renew. Performer experience begins to diminish. Yes, all these will begin to influence revenue. But without the fuller understanding your position sounds like an ideologue; it needs to be widened. 

PS. I will be offline until Tues. evening.

Edited by xandandl

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

unless finals is going to be moved, i don't see a need to do it

And that is the crux of the problem.  Because finals are always in the same location, the tour is in a rut.  Drum Corps season in CA, AZ, OR, & WA  is over by the end of the first week of July (at latest).   And over in the south (INC Texas) by the end of the third week in July.

But, no matter where finals are located, the parents & many fans will still come.  So Indy it is.