What Four Cities.........?

15 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Ive done several band show championships there and YES sound is something special ( sarcasm     ) and again YES the area around is quite the nightmare. Whatever the location, DCI needs a lot of cooperation from the community, etc etc. And no not everyone sees the value in what we do.

agreed, and from what I am told, SU athletics is less than friendly to anyone not Su athletics...and even then not all of SU athletics is treated nicely

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

rather a standstill? no thanks, no kid wants it for an ending of a season and I don't know anyone who wants to spend that much for a non show. I also like outside sound over indoor, BUT love the comfort as well as the guarantee of a show inside. 

look I get why people like it. I just don't. i'm a music guy, i like being able to hear it all, and inside, non amplied percussion gets buried unless they beat the #### out of the drums with rim shots

5 hours ago, tesmusic said:

Any city is safe, and any city is dangerous depending on where you go. If you're in Chicago, and you go to the Austin neighborhood, or Englewood, then yeah, it's dangerous, but that's many miles away from any stadium that would be used, as well as where most people would choose to spend time when not at a DCI show.

Generalizing cities as safe or dangerous needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I've spent a great deal of time in St. Louis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Indy, Chicago, etc. If you pay enough attention and do even the smallest amount of research it's easy to avoid areas that have high crime.

Simply stating a city is dangerous because of what's on the news or in documentaries doesn't paint a realistic picture.

For example: https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/highest-murder-rate-cities-2018

On here, Chicago is in at #25, with 768 murders for 2,704,958. Hardly at the top. Elkhart, IN is actually higher per capita in murders.

It helps to put things into context before completing trashing certain place.

Last years top 12 are actually as follows:

1. East St. Louis, IL

2. Chester,PA

3. Camden, NJ

4. St. Louis, MO

5. Gary, IN

6. West Memphis, AR

7. Baltimore, MD

8. Flint, MI

9. Detroit, MI

10. New Orleans, LA

11. Salisbury, NC

12 Danville, VA

#themoreyouknow

don't think we have to worry about Chester anymore

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

No one can deny L.A. traffic, but if you stay in or near Pasadena traffic isn’t an issue especially on Saturday night when finals are held.  The Rose Bowl may be cost prohibitive for DCI, I don’t know, but a change in venue is overdue. 

Who wants to keep going to Indianapolis?

It could also inject some life-blood into the Southern California drum corps scene. Besides the Kingsmen and Velvet Knights, when’s the last time a corps from So Cal made finals? 

DCI does. they get financial incentives to stay there

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexL said:

and the rose bowl, being as shallow as it is, is a poor venue for drum corps. 

I can understand that criticism of the Rose Bowl in terms of drum corps, as it’s almost a 100 year-old stadium. 

But not the traffic (maybe I’m just numb to it).

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

OK, unless the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce starts paying me I’m going to stop responding..........

Pasadena hosted finals in 2007(?) and somehow all the corps managed to get where they needed to go and showed up on time. Yes, there’s “traffic” but you allow for it. It’s not a reason to not host finals.

What IS a valid reason is the cost of renting out the Rose Bowl, and the fact it’s not central to the USA.

worst traffic ever encounted at DCI finals was in Buffalo in 90

18 hours ago, DAvery said:

How is the Carrier Dome? Why not just find an indoor facility for DCI East and rotate it between the four domes? Its been SA, ATL, Allentown and Indy, but why not ATL, Carrier Dome, Indy, then SA. The next year Carrier Dome, Indy, SA, the ATL and so forth. 

What others have said. It's an echo chamber.  Great venue for football.  LOL.

Plus... and I know that perhaps someday the show will move to a different venue... but for now, DCI East anywhere but Allentown, to me, would be "DCI East" in name only.

It felt that way in 2001-02, the two years it was in Philly when JBC was being renovated. Now... I thought the announcer in Philly did a halfway decent job... :innocent:... but overall, it was just not the same atmosphere as Allentown.

40 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I can understand that. If the rent is “cheap” it’s a legit business reason to stay in Indianapolis.

(yawwwwn)

and they keep drawing 20,000 plus paid

8 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

What others have said. It's an echo chamber.  Great venue for football.  LOL.

Plus... and I know that perhaps someday the show will move to a different venue... but for now, DCI East anywhere but Allentown, to me, would be "DCI East" in name only.

It felt that way in 2001-02, the two years it was in Philly when JBC was being renovated. Now... I thought the announcer in Philly did a halfway decent job... :innocent:... but overall, it was just not the same atmosphere as Allentown.

i heard who was announcing and skipped and just went to finals instead LOL

• Haha 1