What Four Cities.........?

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

We were all fantasizing because we’re bored silly of Indianapolis.

Ahhh you can’t see anything from inside anyway.. 😜

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Now that I know Indianapolis is booked through 2028............it's officially moot.

After that I probably won't know where I'm at anyway, so it won't make a difference. 

Well no one was arguing.  No one was seriously thinking it WOULD be changed.  The premise was what cities COULD hold finals and attract fans.  Just spitballin; talking out loud which happens here a lot during the off season.  Like Terri said, fantasizing.  There are many goofy threads started, this one was kind of fun IMO.  

We've talked about rotating Finals.  What about rotating regionals?  Some?  All?  Maybe one year have mid US cites and eastern seaboard  then another year have mid US  cites and western seaboard?  I haven't given it a lot of thought, it just popped in my head.  Now it's time for coffee.

13 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Well no one was arguing.  No one was seriously thinking it WOULD be changed.  The premise was what cities COULD hold finals and attract fans.  Just spitballin; talking out loud which happens here a lot during the off season.  Like Terri said, fantasizing.  There are many goofy threads started, this one was kind of fun IMO.  

We've talked about rotating Finals.  What about rotating regionals?  Some?  All?  Maybe one year have mid US cites and eastern seaboard  then another year have mid US  cites and western seaboard?  I haven't given it a lot of thought, it just popped in my head.  Now it's time for coffee.

Meanwhile the Midwesterners, especially Hoosiers and Ohioans have much cheaper travel costs each year DCI hosts Championships in Indy.

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

Meanwhile the Midwesterners, especially Hoosiers and Ohioans have much cheaper travel costs each year DCI hosts Championships in Indy.

Indoor drum corps. An acoustic abomination. No thank you. 

• Thanks 1

Since we are all having fun and pipe dreaming...Here are my four.

Los Angeles/Pasadena - Love the area. Yes traffic is always a challenge, but the weather, sites and food are always fantastic. Just think, that area handles and takes care of all the bands for the Rose Bowl Parade.  It has a lot of experience hosting and housing some decent sized bands. 

Annapolis - Be it that I live pretty close to the area...You have Navy and Marine Corps Stadium.  You have the Naval Academy right down the street who could house a couple of corps, plus they have a couple of decent sized indoor practice facilities.  There are also quite a few High Schools in the area as well that could satisfy the housing requirements.  Washington, DC and all it's attractions are not too far, along with National Harbor, tons of stadiums to practice in, etc...

Gillette Stadium - Gillette has plenty of experience hosting huge championships events along with concerts, etc...Tons of housing options along with the New England being an old school Drum Corps destination.  You have Boston as an attraction along with Newport, RI, Maine destinations, etc..

Somewhere in Pennsylvania - Love the Allentown area, but it wouldn't be able to handle the sheer chaos that is the DCI Finals, though I'm sure there is some venue close to that area that would be able to host it. 

Madison- You newbies have no idea how great DCI Finals in Madison was for some of us. Saturday farmer market on Capitol grounds, State Street, I and E in the Frank Loyd Wright Museum, Lake Mendota, That Ice Cream place!

Las Vegas- Awesome new indoor stadium, Lot's of inexpensive hotels, great food . Lots of things to do after and before the drum corps shows. It's hot but so what! Chill out by the pool. I spent many years going to Vegas for boxing events. I could show you some places!

Atlanta- They really tried to create an amazing drum corps experience there last year. I think the Indy model will fit well there, Coke anyone?

Washington DC-  City council has plans for a brand new stadium on RFK site. Open class could be held in our new soccer stadium. Museums in DC are free, Lots of great food, Lots of hotels. site seeing is on a level 10. And, if you really take the time to check out the music seen you'll find a very diverse  mix. Everything from Country, Bluegrass, hard and punk rock to Hip Hop, RnB, Soul and GoGo Bands.   

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 9:43 PM, WaxDCIFan said:

Definitely in the Jerry dome in Arlington (Dallas).  Lots of fun things to do, and great high school music culture should provide ample housing sites.  

(Plus I could walk there from my office)

That place is the biggest echo chamber I've ever been to in my life. Makes RCA Dome sound like an open air stadium. I saw Manny Pacquiao fight there. The acoustics are Terrible. The site line are good though.

1 hour ago, boxingfred said:

Washington DC-  City council has plans for a brand new stadium on RFK site. Open class could be held in our new soccer stadium. Museums in DC are free, Lots of great food, Lots of hotels. site seeing is on a level 10. And, if you really take the time to check out the music seen you'll find a very diverse  mix. Everything from Country, Bluegrass, hard and punk rock to Hip Hop, RnB, Soul and GoGo Bands   

Saw Rolling Stones there around 1990 and plenty of parking. And Metro 🚇 system great for getting around. When sight seeing used to park in Nothern VA and take the subway to where ever (usually the Mall stop).

• Like 2

I hadn't considered DC either. Agreed, the Metro rules. Party at Fred's. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I hadn't considered DC either. Agreed, the Metro rules. Party at Fred's. 

Agree, party at Fred's or my place!  DC would be a great venue as well!

• Like 2