What Four Cities.........?

On 10/1/2019 at 5:29 PM, Jeff Ream said:

agree, i can't see DCI ever not having finals in an enclosed/domed/echo chamber venue

Unless they go to California?

On 10/1/2019 at 11:53 AM, xandandl said:

3 of those choices are on the most-dangerous in the country list the law enforcement use.

Well, I walk around downtown Cleveland (where I work) in the middle of the night and it's fine. Just like many cities of similar or larger size, lots of people come downtown to attend major league sporting events (NFL, NBA, MLB) and all sorts of shows (we have the one of the largest performance arts complex in the country) without experiencing any more trouble here than elsewhere. And after all, several people have mentioned Las Vegas, whose crime rates are lower, but that didn't help the hundreds of people injured or killed at the Harvest Music Festival two years ago.

Anyway, violent and property crimes pretty much everywhere are way down from where they peaked in 1992. Nationally the crime levels are half of that (although still about twice as high as they were in 1960), which puts them back to where they were in 1970, i.e., they're lower now than they've been at any point in my lifetime--or in the history of DCI. And the reason that crime went up and then down is lead in gasoline and paint, which warped kids' brains.

But the risk of rain here is as great as in Indianapolis, and we don't have a domed stadium.

But speaking of rain... many years ago, I worked for a company that produced air shows. And you know what? Every few years, one of them would be rained out. And fans would have their tickets refunded and the show would take a hit. But that was just understood to be part of the business model. It's why the shows either carried rain insurance (or built up a literal rainy day fund for such contingencies).

4 hours ago, xandandl said:

Meanwhile the Midwesterners, especially Hoosiers and Ohioans have much cheaper travel costs each year DCI hosts Championships in Indy.

True.  But wherever it is, whomever lives closest will have the cheapest travel to and from.  It was cheap for me when it was in Foxboro (Boston).  I thought a rotating regional might give those on the left coast a fair shot at a huge show from time to time, if it couldn't be DCI.  I mean after all, the left coast gives us the champion nearly every year!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

But speaking of rain... many years ago, I worked for a company that produced air shows. And you know what? Every few years, one of them would be rained out. And fans would have their tickets refunded and the show would take a hit. But that was just understood to be part of the business model. It's why the shows either carried rain insurance (or built up a literal rainy day fund for such contingencies).

Was it their championship that was cancelled?  Like "sorry for the rain, no champion this year but see ya next year"?

38 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Unless they go to California?

Which they should.  California has produced 27 DCI Winners (counting 3 ties) yet has only hosted finals once in 47 years!

Time to start spreading some love to the best coast..........after 2028, that is.

3 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Was it their championship that was cancelled?  Like "sorry for the rain, no champion this year but see ya next year"?

I don't actually see a difference. If you run a one-day airshow, and it's rained out, and the 50,000 people you were counting on all get their money refunded, you're in just as bad a shape as DCI is if Finals are cancelled. Maybe worse!

BUT in the case of DCI (and DCA), you at least have the option of naming the Prelims or Semifinals winner as the champion. That is, I believe, why both circuits historically have had a two (or more) day championship series.

And if you've paid for rain insurance, or you've set aside a contingency fund, you survive financially too.

2 hours ago, Drum Corps Guy said:

Since we are all having fun and pipe dreaming...Here are my four.

Los Angeles/Pasadena - Love the area. Yes traffic is always a challenge, but the weather, sites and food are always fantastic. Just think, that area handles and takes care of all the bands for the Rose Bowl Parade.  It has a lot of experience hosting and housing some decent sized bands. 

Annapolis - Be it that I live pretty close to the area...You have Navy and Marine Corps Stadium.  You have the Naval Academy right down the street who could house a couple of corps, plus they have a couple of decent sized indoor practice facilities.  There are also quite a few High Schools in the area as well that could satisfy the housing requirements.  Washington, DC and all it's attractions are not too far, along with National Harbor, tons of stadiums to practice in, etc...

Gillette Stadium - Gillette has plenty of experience hosting huge championships events along with concerts, etc...Tons of housing options along with the New England being an old school Drum Corps destination.  You have Boston as an attraction along with Newport, RI, Maine destinations, etc..

Somewhere in Pennsylvania - Love the Allentown area, but it wouldn't be able to handle the sheer chaos that is the DCI Finals, though I'm sure there is some venue close to that area that would be able to host it. 

I keep thinking about Pasadena and the more I think about it the less I favor it.  Grass field won't work today.  Yes they can handle lots of bands for the parade but what would they do with a parade day after day  that lasts for hours.  I am thinking more like up in Santa Clara at Levi.

Annapolis.  Quite a few high schools needs to mean about 40 or more, with multiple fields with high stands preferably.  The area though is great.

Gillette has grown since the last DCI there.  Patriot place has shopping and entertainment on the stadium property along with the closeness of Boston and Providence, Cape Cod, with Maine & New Hampshire within hours drive.

PA.  Maybe Pittsburgh?  Philly has a couple of stadiums to use for Open and World Class shows.  Plus tons of Jersey Drum Corps fans.  And Atlantic City isn't too far away as gross as that may be.

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I don't actually see a difference. If you run a one-day airshow, and it's rained out, and the 50,000 people you were counting on all get their money refunded, you're in just as bad a shape as DCI is if Finals are cancelled. Maybe worse!

BUT in the case of DCI (and DCA), you at least have the option of naming the Prelims or Semifinals winner as the champion. That is, I believe, why both circuits historically have had a two (or more) day championship series.

And if you've paid for rain insurance, or you've set aside a contingency fund, you survive financially too.

Hardly the same.  A one day air show out of a number of air shows is more like one of 25 drum corps shows before Nationals being rained out and that does happen often enough.  Losing Finals to rain and naming the quarterfinals winner the champion would not go over well.  And the reason for prelims and finals is not historically what happens today.  Prelims and finals used to occur the same day in regional shows.  Today's structure give more corps a chance at more than one performance which is what used to happen at Nationals.

22 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

So Finals are scheduled in Indianapolis until 2028!?

All that arguing yesterday over nothing......?

Oh well.

and probably beyond?

been there 11 years now