What Four Cities.........?

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

Why not Ford Field in Detroit.  Premier show has work quite well the last couple years with a really nice crowd for that early.  Acoustics are not bad as far as hard topped stadiums go..seen hundreds of marching band shows perform there.  Logistics are fairly easy in and out of downtown Detroit.  Stadium district downtown is really going through a renaissance and river walk is is less than a mile down Woodward.  For those that like "culture" the Windsor Ballet is just a quick drive south into Canuckistan.

And schools don’t start until after Labor Day. The Detroit suburbs have a lot to offer. Why not Detroit?

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Many Drum Corps people today Do not attend all the festivities. I know many who also went to DCA and never go to anything but finals, maybe part of prelims. Look at the attendance at some of the things you were at like Alumni Sunday morning. There has been a lot of talk if some things are even worth having anymore and the cost.

DCI is no different.

Agreed.  Our other hobby or interest is gourmet dining and we always manage to find fine dining establishments in most DCI and DCA cites.  Another reason for avoiding Indianapolis is its lack of fine dining establishments.  The Chicago area, now that's different!  And the LA region, including Pasedena .  Of course, during our Southwest tour on the way to Allentown, we always find time to dine in Charleston SC! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Unless they go to California?

they arent leaving Indy without serious financial incentives to do that. their stadium deal is too good

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Confused how people have time to do anything but drum corps on these trips. I've attended DCA championships for the past several years in Rochester and then Williamsport, and at most there's only a few hours each on Saturday and Sunday to kill, what with I&E / minicorps on Friday night, Prelims on Saturday afternoon-evening, Alumni corps on Sunday morning, and Finals Sunday evening. Last year and the year before I did squeeze in a two-hour bike ride on the Sundays, but that was the extent of it.

no fan of Indy, but it beats the hell out of Rochester and Williamsport

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I haven’t been to the alumni show in years.  

ditto, same for I&E

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bob P. said:

Agreed.  Our other hobby or interest is gourmet dining and we always manage to find fine dining establishments in most DCI and DCA cites.  Another reason for avoiding Indianapolis is its lack of fine dining establishments.  The Chicago area, now that's different!  And the LA region, including Pasedena .  Of course, during our Southwest tour on the way to Allentown, we always find time to dine in Charleston SC! 

really in Indy, anything other than St. Elmos has me not interested

4 cities for me within proximity? Possible direct flights, public transit, good weather or a dome? As for dining, no whining as I had granola bars in my purse Indy 2010 and 2013.

Pasadena

Santa Clara

Minneapolis

Chicago

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

really in Indy, anything other than St. Elmos has me not interested

The Eagle on Mass Ave is a go to every year.  Cafe Patachou for breakfast.  Went twice this year.  Mass Ave and Virginia Ave have a lot of good restaurants. Uber ride for us from the Holiday Inn express on Missouri but worth it.  We have never had a bad uber driver in Indy, either.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

no fan of Indy, but it beats the hell out of Rochester and Williamsport

Rochester is actually going through a lot of renewal projects downtown and it was getting pretty nice.  We found a couple of really great restaurants there but you had to do your homework.  

Williamsport...I got nuthin’.   

59 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Rochester is actually going through a lot of renewal projects downtown and it was getting pretty nice.  We found a couple of really great restaurants there but you had to do your homework.  

Williamsport...I got nuthin’.   

Any idea how Rochester is recovering from the Kodak hit? That seemed to be a huge problem with trying to get on track.