What Four Cities.........?

4 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I know I am DEFINITELY the minority.... but....

HOUSTON!!!!  

Oh yea. Houston in August is just lovely!

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I know I am DEFINITELY the minority.... but....

HOUSTON!!!!  

Nice indoor venue there!!!

• Thanks 1

I'll always -- in my biased opinion -- vouch for Minneapolis over Indy in terms of fan experience. There's just more to do in the Twin Cities' neighborhoods/districts during August. Parking is so-so, but there are so many more ways to get around (I've never had issues on the light rail, and you can come from the airport, MOA, or St. Paul pretty easily without worrying about parking).

I'll give Indy some credit, their stadium has two key advantages: 1) proximity to convention center space and 2) the outdoor warmup site at military park. Getting bussed from warmups seems pretty lame, but it works, and the park is a nice, large, flat area.

These are two fairly big flaws with Downtown Minneapolis. The Minneapolis Convention Center is a 20 minute walk from the stadium. The Armory (old arena-turned-concert-venue across from the stadium) could hypothetically be utilized, but it's a privately owned space that books some pretty big shows on weekends ... so probably not happening.

As for outdoor warmup space: there isn't much at the moment ... especially under the state of perpetual construction in Downtown Mpls. A few groups could maybe utilize the commons space in front of the stadium (maybe battery or guard only), but it would likely be another bussing situation for the rest. Loring Park comes to mind ... other side of downtown and about a 30 minute walk from the stadium.

If there's serious talk about giving MN another chance at a large show/Regional, it's worth taking another look at US Bank Stadium. The DCI MN show at TCF had diminishing returns, but getting it indoors at a state-of-the-art facility would help. The Youth In Music band championships, coming up this Saturday, always seem to go well.

Or just have it at New Orleans. That would be a hoot.

Edited by ReturnOfTheSonOfSUAPYG

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

when not under water. And don't Texas schools start earlier?  

Nice indoor venue there!!! :tongue:

On 10/9/2019 at 6:49 PM, xandandl said:

when not under water. And don't Texas schools start earlier?  

School is back in session the week before Labor Day. (Or at least it was when I was in school.) Plenty of time between the end of drum corps season.

Summer band kicks off August 1, though, so you may run into issues sharing rehearsal space with the kids. Middle schools and/or non-competitive-band high schools might be an option, but those are also more likely to not be interested in the first place, to my way of thinking.

If you really wanted to go insane, you could plausibly host multiple corps at the universities--off the top of my head, Rice has enough field space even outside of the football practice facilities, and you'd have more than enough housing (though they may want that closed to prep for student move-ins).

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

School is back in session the week before Labor Day. (Or at least it was when I was in school.) Plenty of time between the end of drum corps season.

Summer band kicks off August 1, though, so you may run into issues sharing rehearsal space with the kids. Middle schools and/or non-competitive-band high schools might be an option, but those are also more likely to not be interested in the first place, to my way of thinking.

If you really wanted to go insane, you could plausibly host multiple corps at the universities--off the top of my head, Rice has enough field space even outside of the football practice facilities, and you'd have more than enough housing (though they may want that closed to prep for student move-ins).

The last two years for my Texas kiddo she got back from Nats week on Saturday and was in school on Wednesday.  (so around the 14th ish)

Mike