What Four Cities.........?

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

look I get why people like it. I just don't. i'm a music guy, i like being able to hear it all, and inside, non amplied percussion gets buried unless they beat the #### out of the drums with rim shots

All Im saying, and by the way I was a music person long before guard and visual BUT I hide that.....lol I agree Personally I would rather hear drum corps at an outside venue BUT I do want to see it and not chance the time and MONEY put into this from members, staff, and spectators. 

I don't think it's a matter of liking it or not, more that not taking a chance of a no show. AS far as sound I think most might agree it is better outdoors 

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

All Im saying, and by the way I was a music person long before guard and visual BUT I hide that.....lol I agree Personally I would rather hear drum corps at an outside venue BUT I do want to see it and not chance the time and MONEY put into this from members, staff, and spectators. 

I don't think it's a matter of liking it or not, more that not taking a chance of a no show. AS far as sound I think most might agree it is better outdoors 

I know I've said this before... but the older I get, the more I like the idea of no weather issues, no sunburn, comfortable seats. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't believe I'm writing this but I prefer the domes because of possible rain outs.  Traveling to Indy is a lot of money I need to set aside each year but I can at least guarantee the show will be in a comfortable environment and not be cancelled due to weather.  

Being practical and realistic, I would prefer a 3 or 4 city rotation of already established venues.  Indy, Atlanta, and San Antonio.  DCI and the corps have already established a relationship with the cities and local schools for housing.  Understandably there are still housing issues in these locations at times.  A wild card could be something on the west coast as there is hardly any rain in August.  I feel all four areas are healthy locations to build a fan base and interest.  The current three regionals already have great attendance and we know that Pasadena was well attended.  It would also continue to grow the marching arts activity in these four strategic locations.  

I love Denver and Madison.  I enjoyed Buffalo, Foxboro, and heck even Orlando (turned into a vacation).  This thing is you can't guarantee perfect weather with the way the climate has been changing.  

16 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Madison? 100% Yes.

St. Louis? Dangerous city with nothing to do there. No one wants to go to St. Louis. No.

Chicago? Not downtown. Could work in northern or western suburbs.

Cleveland? Dangerous city. No one want to go to Cleveland. No.

Cleveland is no more dangerous than any other big city. The bulk of the crime in CLE has been on the east side, not downtown. Cleveland is a revamped city experiencing a major renaissance in downtown, and it has amazing suburbs. It is close to Akron and Canton. It's downtown sports facilities are among the best in pro sports. Cleveland is the 2nd largest musical theater district in the country after NYC, and it has one of the finest orchestras in the world. The museum of art is world class, and It's the no. 2 city in the country for medicine and medical research after Rochester, MN.  The city's new convention center is state-of-the-art and situated close to Browns stadium. Transportation is good, the streets are wider than the east coast big cities which helps with bus travel, and there is plenty for people to do while also attending drum corps. DCI fans would absolutely love the FLATS, including all the restaurants, clubs, and even a Margaritaville (the only one in Ohio) which is situated in the Flats near the lake.

Now having said that, I don't know that I would want Finals in Browns stadium. It's a great stadium for football, but for corps, I'm not sure. But the city itself would surprisingly be better than many would think. The stereotype about Cleveland is just that...a bad stereotype based on issues that happened decades and decades ago. It's the same stereotype that Chicago people have to listen to when the news media beats-up the city over all the killings that seem to happen in one area. For most people, downtown Chicago is awesome, as are the suburbs. Frankly, Cleveland would be better than smaller cities like Buffalo, where housing and hotels can be an issue, and the mega-size cities present their own issues. I think Cleveland would be way better than St. Louis as well.

Madison is a unique city. Not overly big, but they love drum corps up there and you do have a big university with a great stadium for Finals. 

I think Minneapolis would be good. 

Also, even though we no longer see corps from Canada competing in the states, DCI is international and going to Toronto or Montreal again would be cool. 

• Like 2

I've picked my four favorites and i see many other picking them as well.  But I also see many people picking southern locales.  I wouldn't want to be any further south than Indy because of the heat. Simple as that.  And not for me, but for the MM's who are still working their butts off on their shows,. Rehearsing for hours in the scorching sun is awful and in August, dangerous.

I get outdoor stadiums can have rain and that's a concern when you get to finals for sure.  A dome guarantees the show will happen.   Being in LOS for my first time this past year was nice but I would love to have had the roof open.  The AC in that place works really well.  So much so I was shivering halfway through semi's.  Open the roof, cut back a bit on the AC 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 11:11 AM, kkrepps said:

ACK! I live in New England but I wouldn't want to punish my worst enemy with having to drive to and park at an event in Boston.

It wouldn’t be in the city proper, it would have to be in Foxboro and Gillette and the state police do a reasonably good job handling traffic when the Patriots play. The drawback is there would be far more auto traffic than Indy since there are not many hotels located near Gillette. Regarding Open Class finals, either BC or Holy Cross would be excellent venues. The traffic for BC could be challenging, and driving through Worcester to get to Holy Cross leaves little to be desired, but it’s a nice stadium. 

I am only suggesting places I know. I have only been as far West as Denver, as far South as Atlanta. I do believe Texas and California should host finals, but I can’t specifically recommend venues. Based on what I do know:

Boston: there is no venue in the city itself, but Gillette is in the greater Boston area, is an outdoor facility, but has the best features of Lucas Oil. The Boston area is a vacation destination in the summer, and if you arrive early, you could see the historic sights, enjoy great restaurants, the Cape and the Maine Coast are great day trips, you might be able to catch a Red Sox game, but Boston is expensive.

Annapolis: many of the same features as Boston, with different sights to see, but it is also expensive. 

Atlanta: knows how to handle large events.

Whitewater: I have not been, but it is tradition.

On 10/1/2019 at 11:47 AM, Kopeck said:

Dallas (but really Arlington where AT&T stadium is), Atlanta, Los Angeles (in the new stadium), and Madison

Definitely in the Jerry dome in Arlington (Dallas).  Lots of fun things to do, and great high school music culture should provide ample housing sites.  

(Plus I could walk there from my office)

Edited by WaxDCIFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

and hence i choose to end my live viewing season in Allentown...and save thousands

• Like 2