KeithHall

What Four Cities.........?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And #2 has had a corps show (DCA only?) for years. 

Been at 7, 9 and 10 for work and personal trips. Yep just learn where to stay out of.

There’s a DCI show there, too.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Madison

Chicago

ATLANTA

Cleveland

Any idea of parking in Cleveland around the stadium. Asking as was there for Rock And Roll HoF and parking for baseball and football seemed like spread out where ever you can find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I understand what you say but you can’t look at it from only the fans view.  All the corps with their equipment are moving around for about a week.! And where is Open Class being held? SoCal corps may be around, just stuck in traffic.

OK, unless the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce starts paying me I’m going to stop responding..........

Pasadena hosted finals in 2007(?) and somehow all the corps managed to get where they needed to go and showed up on time. Yes, there’s “traffic” but you allow for it. It’s not a reason to not host finals.

What IS a valid reason is the cost of renting out the Rose Bowl, and the fact it’s not central to the USA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

OK, unless the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce starts paying me I’m going to stop responding..........

Pasadena hosted finals in 2007(?) and somehow all the corps managed to get where they needed to go and showed up on time. Yes, there’s “traffic” but you allow for it. It’s not a reason to not host finals.

What IS a valid reason is the cost of renting out the Rose Bowl, and the fact it’s not central to the USA.

Had a good crowd at Rose Bowl too. Then again some people I know went there as never been to west coast before and this was their excuse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

OK, unless the Pasadena Chamber of Commerce starts paying me I’m going to stop responding..........

Pasadena hosted finals in 2007(?) and somehow all the corps managed to get where they needed to go and showed up on time. Yes, there’s “traffic” but you allow for it. It’s not a reason to not host finals.

What IS a valid reason is the cost of renting out the Rose Bowl, and the fact it’s not central to the USA.

OK so 12 finals ago, it was in Pasadena.  I am quite sure the corps have increased in size between MM's, instructional staff, volunteer staff, equipment trucks & busses.  And I am also sure there are more people in LA area now than back then.  If the average top 12 corps has 12-14 vehicles you are talking about moving 144 - 168 vehicle on final night alone.   For semi's you have what?  25 corps competing throughout the day?

When you measure travel between places in terms of time versus miles there is an issue with moving around.  For corps these days you need to accommodate all the equipment and the rehearsal sites must be more like small stadiums with more than one field to use.  where is everyone coming from to get in to Pasadena?

You can allow for traffic but no corps want to have to allow an added hour or more each way to get where they want to go.  Neither do fans these days either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

OK so 12 finals ago, it was in Pasadena.  I am quite sure the corps have increased in size between MM's, instructional staff, volunteer staff, equipment trucks & busses.  And I am also sure there are more people in LA area now than back then.  If the average top 12 corps has 12-14 vehicles you are talking about moving 144 - 168 vehicle on final night alone.   For semi's you have what?  25 corps competing throughout the day?

When you measure travel between places in terms of time versus miles there is an issue with moving around.  For corps these days you need to accommodate all the equipment and the rehearsal sites must be more like small stadiums with more than one field to use.  where is everyone coming from to get in to Pasadena?

You can allow for traffic but no corps want to have to allow an added hour or more each way to get where they want to go.  Neither do fans these days either.

 

and 12 years ago we didn't have the megaprops and their added transport nor the skyscraper sized electronic speakers and sound boards. Pasadena is ok for a small local DCI show but the grass field proved inadequate, bathrooms are outside the stadium, and the stairs were a killer if one was with any physical challenges like wheelchairs, braces, canes, or other medical situations. There are other places in Calif. that would be more suitable. No roses for Pasadena without thorns.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and 12 years ago we didn't have the megaprops nor the skyscraper sized electronic speakers and sound boards. Pasadena is ok for a small local DCI show but the grass field proved inadequate, bathrooms are outside the stadium, and the stairs were a killer if one was with any physical challenges like wheelchairs, braces, canes, or other medical situations. There are other places in Calif. that would be more suitable. No roses for Pasadena without thorns.

Good points.  I do have 12 more years on my knees since 2007. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, xandandl said:

Is there not an echo factor with the new stadium which I understood was designed so that the noise of the audience was magnified to the field, not the other way around the way many DCI fans prefer (to hear the corps.) Having done some consultation with two MN hs. bands, I know that the band circuit there is not psyched on the stadium for this reason; I presume Brian Turner would give the expert answer.  Regarding all day prelims in the stadium, would the field have to be set in a certain direction due to the walls of glass (particularly with the Western sun.)  And what would we do with all those gulls and other birds who use the stadium for their suicide runs? I've read even the Vikings have had problems with them. But I like the city and neighboring St. Paul.

The acoustics in US Bank Stadium (Vikings - Minneapolis) are actually pretty good for the marching arts. There is a huge marching band competition there every October. As far as sun goes, the light coming in the huge vertical opening panels doesn't really spill directly onto the field. It just lights up the concourse. And the diffused ceiling panels over the the turf make the entire stadium very bright during the day, but it's dispersed and no real glare. And schools in MN don't start until after Labor Day so in theory, it should be easier to secure housing for all of the corps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, combia1 said:

The acoustics in US Bank Stadium (Vikings - Minneapolis) are actually pretty good for the marching arts. There is a huge marching band competition there every October. As far as sun goes, the light coming in the huge vertical opening panels doesn't really spill directly onto the field. It just lights up the concourse. And the diffused ceiling panels over the the turf make the entire stadium very bright during the day, but it's dispersed and no real glare. And schools in MN don't start until after Labor Day so in theory, it should be easier to secure housing for all of the corps.

I am glad to hear (no pun) another opinion about the sound there as I like Minnie and St. Paul alot and enjoy that Northwoods and Scandinavian cuisine. My question about the sun effect is a serious one since early afternoon sun for prelims is not the sun position that one experiences for football games or those late night Autumn band contests. Would you have been there at that time of day in mid-summer or are you guess-timating? I hope you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

What's wrong with the Rose Bowl every year (ucla notwithstanding - ugh)?  It's obviously not centraly located, but it's a beautiful location, it will never get rained out, old town Pasadena is fun, plenty of practice and housing options, and its near a large metropolitan city with lots to do besides drum corps (i.e. beach, Disneyland, etc.)

And before you say it.......B.D. are going to win at least every other year anyway.  

 

 

Gonna be honest, while Pasadena was nice and sunny, driving through LA traffic every day sucked and the rose bowl, being as shallow as it is, is a poor venue for drum corps. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.