Kidsgrove Scouts going to DCI next year

37 minutes ago, BigW said:

I would say we at Westshore were fun to be with. I would hope those from the Cabs, Sun, Bucs, and Thunderbirds would feel as positively about us as we did about them. :guinesssmilie:

Cabs and Sun were all pretty cool I never spent much time around Bucs. 

It's kinda like in DCI. X-Men, Star, VK, PR and Colts were tons of fun to be around. There we're others too, but those really stuck out to me. Bluecoats were also very cool.

1 hour ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Cabs and Sun were all pretty cool I never spent much time around Bucs. 

It's kinda like in DCI. X-Men, Star, VK, PR and Colts were tons of fun to be around. There we're others too, but those really stuck out to me. Bluecoats were also very cool.

During my DCA years, the Bucs and Matadors were always a lot of fun to hang with. Great folks. The party the Matadors hosted after their home show was absolutely awesome!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I hope so. I count them at the top for "cool to hang with" along with the Renegades.

Oh man... we had a blast with them at the North Carolina show in 2005. The brewpub down the street from the HQ hotel was rockin'  after that show!!!

43 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Oh man... we had a blast with them at the North Carolina show in 2005. The brewpub down the street from the HQ hotel was rockin'  after that show!!!

LMS was a blast. I'll remember playing the mass Georgia forever

5 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Makes sense to me. If the organization is going to spend a lot of money to cross the pond they would want the most bang for it. DCI provides far more exposure and offers better venues for their members to perform for larger audiences than DCA. 

According to post on DCP by those who attended DCA in little league town attendance was less than 2k, was held at a high school stadium that faces the sun with bleacher seats and no aisle railings. Understandable why they are not attending DCA. 

paid attendance based on what you could see on the ticket order website as of the Thursday prior.

The amount of performance opportunities for the last two weeks of the DCI season give the group much more for their buck.  DCA being weekends only, means they perform once a week... and then rehearse for 6 days before they perform again.    DCI means rehearse, perform, move, rehearse perform, move...rinse repeat.  When The Company came over, they were on a good schedule of mixed World Class and Open Class shows.   

International Division allows them to have members older than 21. (as well as looser restrictions on instrumentation if they really wanted to field saxes)

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

The amount of performance opportunities for the last two weeks of the DCI season give the group much more for their buck.  DCA being weekends only, means they perform once a week... and then rehearse for 6 days before they perform again.    DCI means rehearse, perform, move, rehearse perform, move...rinse repeat.  When The Company came over, they were on a good schedule of mixed World Class and Open Class shows.   

International Division allows them to have members older than 21. (as well as looser restrictions on instrumentation if they really wanted to field saxes)

So could we all agree that a model for what an "All-Age" division COULD look like already exists at least in a framework format? I can't find the exact bylaws for the divisions on DCI's website so I am unable to really look at anything in detail. I would also be interested in knowing what the sheets look like. 

2 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So could we all agree that a model for what an "All-Age" division COULD look like already exists at least in a framework format? I can't find the exact bylaws for the divisions on DCI's website so I am unable to really look at anything in detail. I would also be interested in knowing what the sheets look like. 

possibly, other than DCI shows happen on all days of the week, versus All-Age which can only perform on weekends. 

Just a question, was there a point in DCA history where corps had shows on both saturday AND sunday on the same weekend?  

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

possibly, other than DCI shows happen on all days of the week, versus All-Age which can only perform on weekends. 

Just a question, was there a point in DCA history where corps had shows on both saturday AND sunday on the same weekend?  

Good question. Is there a bare bones number of shows that you HAVE to participate in with DCI in order to compete in Finals? If not, at least from the southern perspective, you could probably still do only Sat / Sun DCI shows and still come out +5 scores. Those 5 extra scores are important not just from a cleaning and feedback standpoint, but also from a recruitment and exposure standpoint. 

3 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Absolutely. I remember doing several two-show weekends.

And some wacky combinations, from a travel standpoint.  One example from my last year with Sunrisers, 1982: Carlisle, PA, on Saturday... then Derby, CT, on Sunday afternoon.:blink:

My first year with Sun...1977... we had 19 shows, including prelims and finals. Along with a few parades and exhibitions. Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.

Edited by Fran Haring