Kidsgrove Scouts going to DCI next year

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

possibly, other than DCI shows happen on all days of the week, versus All-Age which can only perform on weekends. 

Just a question, was there a point in DCA history where corps had shows on both saturday AND sunday on the same weekend?  

Late 70s there was the DCA “west coast” swing of Canton Saturday and Erie Sunday afternoon.

And wasn’t the Dream show on Sunday?

6 hours ago, C.Holland said:

The amount of performance opportunities for the last two weeks of the DCI season give the group much more for their buck.  DCA being weekends only, means they perform once a week... and then rehearse for 6 days before they perform again.    DCI means rehearse, perform, move, rehearse perform, move...rinse repeat.  When The Company came over, they were on a good schedule of mixed World Class and Open Class shows.   

International Division allows them to have members older than 21. (as well as looser restrictions on instrumentation if they really wanted to field saxes)

i hope they get to come to Allentown

4 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

So could we all agree that a model for what an "All-Age" division COULD look like already exists at least in a framework format? I can't find the exact bylaws for the divisions on DCI's website so I am unable to really look at anything in detail. I would also be interested in knowing what the sheets look like. 

well it may require serious changes since so many shows are weeknights. I mean here in the NE, outside of late June/early July, and then Allentown, you have little weekend shows

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

possibly, other than DCI shows happen on all days of the week, versus All-Age which can only perform on weekends. 

Just a question, was there a point in DCA history where corps had shows on both saturday AND sunday on the same weekend?  

oh yeah lots of times back in the day

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Late 70s there was the DCA “west coast” swing of Canton Saturday and Erie Sunday afternoon.

And wasn’t the Dream show on Sunday?

Yes.

Again, my last year in Sun, 1982... we were in Providence, RI, on Saturday night... and the Dream on Sunday afternoon, that year at Rutgers Stadium in NJ.  Crazy. Gotta be honest, those two-show weekends were a factor in my decision to make '82 my last season.  Didn't want to spend more summers on a bus.  :tongue:

The upside to the Dream show that year, for us in the Jersey Crew.... Rutgers was only about 15 minutes or so from where a number of us lived. So it made the short turnaround more tolerable.   LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

The upside to the Dream show that year, for us in the Jersey Crew.... Rutgers was only about 15 minutes or so from where a number of us lived. So it made the short turnaround more tolerable.   LOL.

Lol rub it in... leaving Erie in evening and getting home at o dark 30 was bad enough. But that summer job in the warehouse says if you don’t work you don’t get paid for that day sooooo.... groan

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol rub it in... leaving Erie in evening and getting home at o dark 30 was bad enough. But that summer job in the warehouse says if you don’t work you don’t get paid for that day sooooo.... groan

That Rutgers show was one of the times the Jersey Crew caught a break, regarding travel. Lots of trips to and from Long Island those years for us. On "kill or be killed" highways like the Belt Parkway and Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. Not for the faint of heart. :laughing:

I remember some of our Long Island folks grumbling about their long ride that day at Rutgers... and the Jersey people were like, hey... welcome to our world. LOL

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

well it may require serious changes since so many shows are weeknights. I mean here in the NE, outside of late June/early July, and then Allentown, you have little weekend shows

I can see the double edged sword occurring of DCI trying to influence the All-Age corps do weekend tours all summer.   So they may then have more performances, but more travel and housing costs.   All of the sudden you've got four more corps going to the Nashua, NH DCI show, and then hitting one in NJ or PA on the way back.   Unless DCI wants to really revamp its shows out east.

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes.

Again, my last year in Sun, 1982... we were in Providence, RI, on Saturday night... and the Dream on Sunday afternoon, that year at Rutgers Stadium in NJ.  Crazy. Gotta be honest, those two-show weekends were a factor in my decision to make '82 my last season.  Didn't want to spend more summers on a bus. :tongue:

90 I remember Syracuse Saturday, Clifton Sunday. Ugh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I think it was 90 we also did a show in Erie Saturday, then Saint Marys or one of those towns up there Sunday. Ugh

• Like 1