Documentary Photography Proposal for 2020 Season

On 10/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, SiFrySopUK said:

I'm struggling to see why this even needs to be bought up. We're all the same in DC whether we're straight or not. I've never been in a corps/band where a quote "queer" member has been given harsh treatment or made to feel any different to the next member. If anything this just singles them out. Just my opinion.

Even though it may have been a non-issue for you or something you witnessed does not eliminate the feelings of someone else's unique experience.  Simply put, I am searching for someone who is willing to offer a different perspective other than my own.  While I believe we can all find similarities within our years as members, I think the drum corps experience is different for everyone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Comments by a few posters on this thread had me thinking: why would instructors ever have to know the sexual orientation of mms they were teaching? Homophobia or grooming? Creepy either way.

What if the member is open about their orientation? People don’t have to know but they would find out anyway. 

• Like 1

At DCI Finals in 1977 there were a couple dozen protesters milling around the entrance gate holding up signs that said “DCI IS GAY!”  I don’t know if they were locals, or part of the drum corps community. It might have been the later as they looked on the young side. I thought it was really odd.

On 10/3/2019 at 8:17 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m looking at this from another way from the op and some responses. Everyone has different experiences and not quite honest presenting one persons experience as true for all places. Read and reread the op with that in mind and not sure where that fits in. 

As for gay experiences I live in PA where we have gay marriage but can be fired for being gay as that is not listed as a protected group. And a firing has happened and was upheld by state Supreme Court size does not fit all.... 

An employment case is currently being heard by the Supreme Court. 

Drum corps has been ahead of the curve on accepting all kinds of people, but that itself might be a good reason for the OP to pursue this project.  There are actually still many places where young people who not straight might face discrimination.  For example, how many out gay men do you see on high school or college football teams?  I think because of that showcasing the drum corps approach to diversity might be a good thing.  This is a tough, demanding activity in every way imaginable.  And it's an ideal example of an activity that is merit-based.  If you aren't good enough, you don't make the corps.  And no corps cares the slightest bit about your orientation these days.  If there's one thing drum corps proves is that LGBTQ people are just as strong, talented, etc. as their straight counterparts.  I wish the rest of the word would be as evolved as drum corps.  If so, we'd be way better off.

• Like 1

This sounds more like a project for yourself rather than the individuals involved. Most probably aren’t going to want to draw attention to themselves. Things have changed a lot even in the past 12 years for the better. 

Edited by cybersnyder
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cybersnyder said:

This sounds more like a project for yourself rather than the individuals involved. Most probably aren’t going to want to draw attention to themselves. Things have changed a lot even in the past 12 years for the better. 

It's definitely both.  I understand there's a certain level of attention needed here but I'm more interested in providing a different perspective for others.  I know things have changed—I've witnessed it as a returning patron—and am excited to learn and discover more.