Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

Obviously from your thread title this is inspired by the high school band whose guard members' bare feet were so badly burned on the turf yesterday in a Bands of America prelims competition in Texas that a doctor told them they couldn't perform in the finals that evening (for which they had qualified).

As it happens, over in DCA, the Caballeros' guard was barefoot for daytime prelims at championships in 2014 in New York and some membes feet were burned, but apparently not as badly.

Curious why you asked for this topic, which seems like a legitimate one for discussion here, to be deleted.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Obviously from your thread title this is inspired by the high school band whose guard members' bare feet were so badly burned on the turf yesterday in a Bands of America prelims competition in Texas that a doctor told them they couldn't perform in the finals that evening (for which they had qualified).

As it happens, over in DCA, the Caballeros' guard was barefoot for daytime prelims at championships in 2014 in New York and some membes feet were burned, but apparently not as badly.

Curious why you asked for this topic, which seems like a legitimate one for discussion here, to be deleted.

I don’t keep up with the band world but that is horrible.  Footwear should be required 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

There were some guard members in Dekalb in the early’90’s who burned their feet on the old carpet during prelims at DCM.  I think they had some kind of rule after that about no bare feet.

When I saw foot burns I was thinking rough turf and not the temperature. 1978 was in SuperDome and just brushing your arm against 70s AstroTurf was like rubbing sandpaper. 

• Like 1

i looked online, couldn't find anything about this

16 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And while they're at it; make hats, shakos, busbys, helmets, or some kind of head covering a requirement too for everyone except (maybe) the color guard and pit.

(and don't get me started on Pits)

Maybe suits & ties for male patrons and dresses and hats for women.  Make every day a Leave it to Beaver day at shows.  All corps must play Huey Lewis' "Back In Time".  Busbys would look so good on corps these days.  Blue Devils in Busby's. 

15 hours ago, BigW said:

I would think it would be common sense to take the surface temperature of the turf and figure out if it's hot enough to cause burns. Higher than x, wear something on the feet, period.

And have a minimum SPF sun lotion and hats, I suppose, when the sun is strong!?  Let them make their own mistakes and learn.🤨