Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

A silly sidenote. Bare feet always remind me of the old Kilties tradition of age-outs leaving their shoes on the field at Finals Retreat. Those goofy boys. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

end up on the streets?  because they didn't wear shoes? A bit of an overstatement is it not?

No. This isn't an overstatement. I've seen a good band director fired over a prank his kids played on him. I'll PM the link to the article if it's still on line. The kids built a fake bomb that evidently looked like a real one and attached it to his car. Everyone had a good laugh, har har har. Fake Bomb put in band room storage locker, discovered by custodian who thought it was the real deal, bomb squad called in, band Director, out. One of the most decent people I've dealt with, especially because I'd have called 911 the second I saw the bomb on my car and the kids would have ended up in hot water.

Yes, a Director can easily be fired over injuries suffered by his students at rehearsal or performance. Or sued. It's why one of the perks of being an NEA member is a Million USD policy for lawsuits filed against you at work. The number might be higher now, I don't know. As someone who's done the job, if the incident happened with the heat, esp. in Texas... I can see someone easily getting fired and or sued over this. Good band directors are literally a dime a dozen. 30-100 applicants for one position, usually. One slip-up, out the door, find a new person with the right background or one down the street.

12 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes, a Director can easily be fired over injuries suffered by his students at rehearsal or performance. Or sued. It's why one of the perks of being an NEA member is a Million USD policy for lawsuits filed against you at work. The number might be higher now, I don't know. As someone who's done the job, if the incident happened with the heat, esp. in Texas... I can see someone easily getting fired and or sued over this. Good band directors are literally a dime a dozen. 30-100 applicants for one position, usually. One slip-up, out the door, find a new person with the right background or one down the street.

Just had a mental image of parent or parents raising hades at a school board meeting. With some board members they would gladly throw a director under the bus if it would help their re-election

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i looked online, couldn't find anything about this

I read about it here. The band is Owasso, OK, and the BOA competition was in Bedford, TX.

Owasso finished eighth in Prelims; the top ten move on to Finals, but Owasso withdrew.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

AFAIK, DCI does require footwear (and has for a long time), but the exact type is up to the corps.  I know a few visual folks, and they all take it very seriously as far as foot support and endurance.

Mike

I knew there was a rule after the DCM prelims burned feet in the early’90’s. 

3 hours ago, BigW said:

No. This isn't an overstatement. I've seen a good band director fired over a prank his kids played on him. I'll PM the link to the article if it's still on line. The kids built a fake bomb that evidently looked like a real one and attached it to his car. Everyone had a good laugh, har har har. Fake Bomb put in band room storage locker, discovered by custodian who thought it was the real deal, bomb squad called in, band Director, out. One of the most decent people I've dealt with, especially because I'd have called 911 the second I saw the bomb on my car and the kids would have ended up in hot water.

My comment was directed specifically at the absurd statement that someone ends up on the street.  THE STREET.   Not a bomb  not about injuries it was about the exaggerated comment about someone ending up on the street like their  became homeless.  Yes it was an overstatement, which there is a lot of that on DCP,. like say ,someone trying to spin a correlation  on not wearing shoes with a fake bomb incident.  

I recall the first time a color guard wore footwear other than English riding boots or short ankle boots. It was the Seattle Imperials winter guard in 1977, they wore ballet slippers. People freaked!

I knew it would lead to bare feet one day 🙂

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

My comment was directed specifically at the absurd statement that someone ends up on the street.  THE STREET.   Not a bomb  not about injuries it was about the exaggerated comment about someone ending up on the street like their  became homeless.  Yes it was an overstatement, which there is a lot of that on DCP,. like say ,someone trying to spin a correlation  on not wearing shoes with a fake bomb incident.  

I read “in the street” as they got canned... as in “get out of the building where you work and go to (hit) the street”. Must be a Central PA term that got lost in the translation....

And not sure why people are talking like the actual problem is no shoes... the real problem is members being injured

lol just remembered if you do something really stupid where I work and get suspended for 3 days without pay we call it “3 days in the street”....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I recall the first time a color guard wore footwear other than English riding boots or short ankle boots. It was the Seattle Imperials winter guard in 1977, they wore ballet slippers. People freaked!

I knew it would lead to bare feet one day 🙂

Guards have gone the barefoot route or flimsy dance foot wear for decades now. Those riding boots also had their issues MANY. Ask some who were tortured by those things.

Now outdoor is a little different

Edited by GUARDLING