Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

12 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Guards have gone the barefoot route or flimsy dance foot wear for decades now. Those riding boots also had their issues MANY. Ask some who were tortured by those things.

Now outdoor is a little different

Just looking at those things back in the day, they did not seem comfortable, or practical,  at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fran Haring said:

Just looking at those things back in the day, they did not seem comfortable, or practical,  at all.

Nasty feet, cutting into the tops of legs, hot, and WOW for BITD they sure were expensive

I remember a friend of mine after a long parade...a bloody mess, couldn't march a show that night

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Guards have gone the barefoot route or flimsy dance foot wear for decades now. Those riding boots also had their issues MANY. Ask some who were tortured by those things.

I’m glad I didn’t wear those boots.  Guardsmen guard did and it looked uncomfortable.  

I would have like to have had the shoes they have now in brasslines.  I wore army surplus Black shoes BITD. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m glad I didn’t wear those boots.  Guardsmen guard did and it looked uncomfortable.  

I would have like to have had the shoes they have now in brasslines.  I wore army surplus Black shoes BITD. 

You were lucky I guess. From what I remember they weren't loved by many who wore them. I guess for the time though options were few until we all looked at what we did with a broader lens.

Compared to now, Bucs weren't so comfortable either, now that I think about it..lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

You were lucky I guess. From what I remember they weren't loved by many who wore them. I guess for the time though options were few until we all looked at what we did with a broader lens.

Compared to now, Bucs weren't so comfortable either, now that I think about it..lol

I hear ya... those white bucks were no picnic.  LOL.

Late 1980s/early 90s, several of us Sunriser alums took turns being the corps' honor guard for some DCA shows... whoever was available would do the gig. The corps had white pants then... so we in the honor guard would wear white sneakers. MUCH more comfortable.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Nasty feet, cutting into the tops of legs, hot, and WOW for BITD they sure were expensive

I remember a friend of mine after a long parade...a bloody mess, couldn't march a show that night

Man... there were so many "what the heck were we thinking" moments back then. LOL.  Like corps not having summer parade uniforms.  That was an accident waiting to happen.   Marching hot-weather parades in cadet jackets, satin blouses, whatever, made no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... there were so many "what the heck were we thinking" moments back then. LOL.  Like corps not having summer parade uniforms.  That was an accident waiting to happen.   Marching hot-weather parades in cadet jackets, satin blouses, whatever, made no sense whatsoever.

lol....Yeah those good old days ….there was a lot of  accidenst waiting to happen. Ignorance was quite bliss as they say...lol

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

lol....Yeah those good old days ….there was a lot of an accident waiting to happen. Ignorance was quite bliss as they say...lol

Yeah my one alumni corps did full uniforms at parades until we had one and time and temperature clock on road to meeting spot said 90 degrees. Ditched cadet top and we all had black tshirts on. If you had a logo on yours then turn it inside out.

Next year shorts and black golf shirts.

Following year shorts and WHITE golf shorts lol.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

9a6a82e1-d206-40aa-8405-e4a88358d8af-ori

I was there.  I remember.