Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

On 10/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, Terri Schehr said:

There were some guard members in Dekalb in the early’90’s who burned their feet on the old carpet during prelims at DCM.  I think they had some kind of rule after that about no bare feet.

Northern Aurora. Div III prelims, '96.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

9a6a82e1-d206-40aa-8405-e4a88358d8af-ori

I was there.  I remember.  

Wonder how many of the people in the pic have foot, toe or ankle problems today. Wondering as had joint replacement in my big toe years back. Possibly too many years of high mark time, etc in DC and MB on asphalt parking lots for practice fields.

• Like 1

Not foot safety, but certainly safety related...

I was judging at a HS band show in Connecticut back in the early 90's, and the theme from Robin Hood was a biggie for bands. One band was using it their opener, and somebody on the band staff had a "GREAT" idea....

As the band was starting their show with the theme from the film, a band parent dressed as Robin Hood shot a LIVE hunting arrow from one endzone over the top of the band, the arrow luckily landing well beyond the band.   😲 

The chief judge ran as fast as he could (not very    😀    ) over to the director and read him the riot act...never saw them do that again at subsequent shows. 

58 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wonder how many of the people in the pic have foot, toe or ankle problems today. Wondering as had joint replacement in my big toe years back. Possibly too many years of high mark time, etc in DC and MB on asphalt parking lots for practice fields.

How about just marching. When I see people I marched with the 1st thing most people talk about is the bad knees from all that marching on every surface possible.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I was judging at a HS band show in Connecticut back in the early 90's, and the theme from Robin Hood was a biggie for bands. One band was using it their opener, and somebody on the band staff had a "GREAT" idea....

As the band was starting their show with the theme from the film, a band parent dressed as Robin Hood shot a LIVE hunting arrow from one endzone over the top of the band, the arrow luckily landing well beyond the band.   😲 

The chief judge ran as fast as he could (not very    😀    ) over to the director and read him the riot act...never saw them do that again at subsequent shows. 

go all the way and light it on fire

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Omg 😱 

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

How about just marching. When I see people I marched with the 1st thing most people talk about is the bad knees from all that marching on every surface possible.

Bad knee from marching on more blacktop parking lots than I even want to remember. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I hear ya... those white bucks were no picnic.  LOL.

Late 1980s/early 90s, several of us Sunriser alums took turns being the corps' honor guard for some DCA shows... whoever was available would do the gig. The corps had white pants then... so we in the honor guard would wear white sneakers. MUCH more comfortable.

Oh I had to wear white bucks in Norwood Park.  

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Several of those ladies are life-long friends and the most common complaint is earlier than normal onset of wrist and hand arthritis - which kinda makes sense. 

Edited by greg_orangecounty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BigW said:

No. This isn't an overstatement. I've seen a good band director fired over a prank his kids played on him. I'll PM the link to the article if it's still on line. The kids built a fake bomb that evidently looked like a real one and attached it to his car. Everyone had a good laugh, har har har. Fake Bomb put in band room storage locker, discovered by custodian who thought it was the real deal, bomb squad called in, band Director, out. One of the most decent people I've dealt with, especially because I'd have called 911 the second I saw the bomb on my car and the kids would have ended up in hot water.

Yes, a Director can easily be fired over injuries suffered by his students at rehearsal or performance. Or sued. It's why one of the perks of being an NEA member is a Million USD policy for lawsuits filed against you at work. The number might be higher now, I don't know. As someone who's done the job, if the incident happened with the heat, esp. in Texas... I can see someone easily getting fired and or sued over this. Good band directors are literally a dime a dozen. 30-100 applicants for one position, usually. One slip-up, out the door, find a new person with the right background or one down the street.

this was my first thought. i can only imagine that meeting with administration and the director today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1