Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Guards have gone the barefoot route or flimsy dance foot wear for decades now. Those riding boots also had their issues MANY. Ask some who were tortured by those things.

Now outdoor is a little different

even in indoor, i wonder if it's a smart choice anymore

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well even the footwear dancers would use , which is what many guards wear are not a protective foot wear when projectile objects are being catapulted , but steel toe footwear doesn't seem like a consideration😱

I have seen many more broken fingers, noses, stitched heads etc

Edited by GUARDLING

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

How about just marching. When I see people I marched with the 1st thing most people talk about is the bad knees from all that marching on every surface possible.

Well that too but no replacement (yet)...

7 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

How about just marching. When I see people I marched with the 1st thing most people talk about is the bad knees from all that marching on every surface possible.

Absolutely.

The junior corps I was with.... our "warmup and stretching" before starting drill practice, on whatever (often poor) surface, consisted of "mark time, march!!!" and off we went. :tongue:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Absolutely.

The junior corps I was with.... our "warmup and stretching" before starting drill practice, on whatever (often poor) surface, consisted of "mark time, march!!!" and off we went. :tongue:

And our “nutrition” was if we had a choice of fast food places for meals.... oy..

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

At least in indoor, there's a good likelihood the custodial staff at a show swept the area.  Also, most indoor units have some sort of bag or support crew so performers can wear flip flops until the last second.  Much less likely some idiot would be breaking glass bottles in a gym than on a grass field.  There is literally no reason for a colorguard to be barefoot in an outdoor performance.  If they can point their hooves in dance shoes, it's not bad training for pointing in the winter (just gets a little easier).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LabMaster said:

My comment was directed specifically at the absurd statement that someone ends up on the street.  THE STREET.   Not a bomb  not about injuries it was about the exaggerated comment about someone ending up on the street like their  became homeless.  Yes it was an overstatement, which there is a lot of that on DCP,. like say ,someone trying to spin a correlation  on not wearing shoes with a fake bomb incident.  

Clarification:

"On the Street" is a term used by Teamsters in our Local and other Locals for getting suspended or fired. Thank You.

Example: "X got 5 days on the street for constantly shrieking like a Banshee at work and the Union got his job back." Recently happened. Have already had issues with X by the way over this...

Edited by BigW

On 10/7/2019 at 1:41 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Just had a mental image of parent or parents raising hades at a school board meeting. With some board members they would gladly throw a director under the bus if it would help their re-election

Many boards and administrations want rid of them to stop the competitive band program that takes away attention from the football team. There's been a 'don't make waves' attitude endemic to many school administrators and boards. Anything that causes any headaches is usually eliminated as quickly and efficiently as possible. In Texas you can't eliminate the band competition per se, but maybe you can get rid of the BoA comps and restrict them to UIL only (Hope I got that right) and easily find someone who can still grab the Division 1 ratings for the program and keep parents from yelling about that.

And if folks don't think solid band directors are a dime a dozen, Been in an interview for a prestigious HS instrumental music program in PA where I was told by the school principal I was one of 12 finalists out of @ 100 applicants, any one of us were more than capable of running the program. Plenty of grist for the mill out there.