Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

1 hour ago, NewToPosting said:

At least in indoor, there's a good likelihood the custodial staff at a show swept the area.  Also, most indoor units have some sort of bag or support crew so performers can wear flip flops until the last second.  Much less likely some idiot would be breaking glass bottles in a gym than on a grass field.  There is literally no reason for a colorguard to be barefoot in an outdoor performance.  If they can point their hooves in dance shoes, it's not bad training for pointing in the winter (just gets a little easier).

There are dance shoes,almost like sneakers, some use where the middle of the sole is literally split for that reason

Not sure why a band or a corps director would allow bare feet on artificial turf. I remember being on artificial turf at U of P (Franklin Field) in 1976 and feeling the heat .  As a music educator I would never allow that!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Not sure why a band or a corps director would allow bare feet on artificial turf. I remember being on artificial turf at U of P (Franklin Field) in 1976 and feeling the heat .  As a music educator I would never allow that!

The synthetic (Astro) turf at Franklin Field was basically a carpet on black top.

Today's synthetic turfs are much improved,but still  hold a lot of heat.

Especially in places like Florida and Texas. 

Dark colored turf makes it even worse.

A number  of synthetic turf fields in places like Florida have sprinklers to cool them down.

In fact, Field Turf now has a system that circulates cold  water under the turf to keep it cool.

Then again,we had one site where they tried to cool the synthetic turf using a fire dept's aerial snorkel.

The results weren't pretty.

The water circulation system can also work in cold weather.

When the Vikings were building their new dome,they had to play their home games at the University of Minn.

The Vikings paid for installing  a new synthetic turf field that circulated hot water,to keep the turf 

from freezing.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Clarification:

"On the Street" is a term used by Teamsters in our Local and other Locals for getting suspended or fired. Thank You.

Example: "X got 5 days on the street for constantly shrieking like a Banshee at work and the Union got his job back." Recently happened. Have already had issues with X by the way over this...

Lol years back had a guy fishing on the river and his car ended up in the drink. Ha ha poor guy type of newspaper article. Turned out he called in sick that day and was suspected of doing it a lot. He worked in same building as my dad and dads quote was “they finally had something solid so 3 days in the street “.

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Clarification:

"On the Street" is a term used by Teamsters in our Local and other Locals for getting suspended or fired. Thank You.

Example: "X got 5 days on the street for constantly shrieking like a Banshee at work and the Union got his job back." Recently happened. Have already had issues with X by the way over this...

In my area "on the street" refers to a person living on the streets.  Someone losing his job, permanently or temporarily, being "on the street" but actually living in his house, is not quite the same thing.  It is a bit disingenuous IMO.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

In my area "on the street" refers to a person living on the streets.  Someone losing his job, permanently or temporarily, being "on the street" but actually living in his house, is not quite the same thing.  It is a bit disingenuous IMO.

Can you split hairs and be offended any more than you are? Jeezes. Maybe/likely fired band director has money, family or a garage somewhere to live in. Heaven forbid. 

Edited by BigW
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol years back had a guy fishing on the river and his car ended up in the drink. Ha ha poor guy type of newspaper article. Turned out he called in sick that day and was suspected of doing it a lot. He worked in same building as my dad and dads quote was “they finally had something solid so 3 days in the street “.

Yep yep. Even then... would be tough to make that stick where I work.

33 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

In my experience it’s both but... context... context.... context....

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I’m from Detroit and I am familiar with the expression “out on the street” as meaning out of a job. It isn’t anything to be triggered about.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

If the Teamsters say "on the street" means fired/suspended, I'm going with that.  LOL

Never mess with the Teamsters. Or one might end up not on the street, but at the bottom of one's local river. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 2