Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

If you polished those bucks enough, they became hard as a rock.  

With a big crack in the polish across the width of the shoe where your foot would bend doing mark time. When the toes of the shoes would bend up and not touch the group anymore time for a new pair

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, Terri Schehr said:

There were some guard members in Dekalb in the early’90’s who burned their feet on the old carpet during prelims at DCM.  I think they had some kind of rule after that about no bare feet.

some years I could feel the heat of the turf though my shoes

• Like 1

More Info on the Incident:

Event: 2019 BOA DFW Regional … Pennington Field, Bedford, TX

Date: Sat. Oct. 5th

Time: circa 1:30 PM

Incident Details as per https://www.facebook.com/OwassoHSB     https://marching.musicforall.org/result/dallas2019/

“How hot is it there?

“… miserably hot at the field. It was in the 90’s but on the field it was about 100 and the turf temp was unbearable. … “

“ … It was 95 degrees at 1:30 pm when the band took the field. They estimate the turf was 140 degrees and our Guard members performed barefooted. They did an incredible job, while pushing through an awful situation. … “

Sounds like it wasn’t just one Guard member, but many, if not all …

“ … I want to say thank you … to all who took care of our girls. This mom truly appreciates the help, care, love and attention you gave to our guard. I know these girls were in pain and I know they appreciate each and everyone who helped and cared for them. … To the young man who stayed with them in the medic tent and making sure they was ok....thank you. To the Dr who drove to give our girls special attention...thank you. To the directors and parents that was there and helped in every way possible and made sure our girls were well cared for, thank you. To all the band students that also checked on the girls through out the rest of the day and evening....thank you!!!  “ …

Hope all of the injured Guard members have recovered & “Best of Luck” to the Pride of Owasso (OK) Marching Band in future Competitions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wolfgang said:

I remember DCI South Prelims at Legion Field in Birmingham in the '80s. I could feel the heat through the soles of my shoes. That was probably different turf than anyone uses these days.

It was green carpet back then.  Nothing like now.  I’ve marched on both and the new stuff is better than the green rug.  😂 

23 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep.  It was over 100 degrees down on the old turf at Franklin Field in 76.  I could feel the heat coming through my shoes. 

At 1971 VFW Nationals in Dallas, as we (Garfield) were waiting to enter the Cotton Bowl for prelims I overheard two stadium employees talking. One of them told the other it was 135 degrees at field level in the stadium.

• Like 2