Performer safety: Does (or should) DCI have footwear rules

16 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep.  That we had to dye black.

Lol the one year I was in college MB it was white bucks and sides of the soles were black (made no sense to me either). Westshoremen had all white bucks then so wide black magic marker to make the sides black for MB. Then after that mess Testors white paint to make the edges white again for DC. White shoe polish and white paint... go figure...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

If the Teamsters say "on the street" means fired/suspended, I'm going with that.  LOL

Never mess with the Teamsters. Or one might end up not on the street, but at the bottom of one's local river. :tongue:

My dad was a teamster in a very tough local. Grew up knowing many of his fellow teamsters.  Never heard mention of being in the street but the other term was more probable.  It always made me nervous when we’d get together to go fishing. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol the one year I was in college MB it was white bucks and sides of the soles were black (made no sense to me either). Westshoremen had all white bucks then so wide black magic marker to make the sides black for MB. Then after that mess Testors white paint to make the edges white again for DC. White shoe polish and white paint... go figure...

I did the white shoe polish on bucks back in the 70s too - all red soles, guessing that may be the reference to 'eraser soles'?

Still have a pair in the closet from my first year with Atlanta CV.  don't know why I'm keeping them, definitely not planning on marching these days

34 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

I did the white shoe polish on bucks back in the 70s too - all red soles, guessing that may be the reference to 'eraser soles'?

Still have a pair in the closet from my first year with Atlanta CV.  don't know why I'm keeping them, definitely not planning on marching these days

Man just remembered who made the bucks I wore starting 1972.... Hushpuppies.... supposed to use white chalk to keep them white... dream on.... 

1979 Westshore got new black units so black dress shoes... got them Hills Department Store (remember them?) in Indiana, PA. Lol

And to stay with foot health. Lastly special marching shoes from ???. #### things didn’t come in wide size for my arthritic toe joints. Only purely marching shoes were the ones I had the biggest problem

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LabMaster said:

My dad was a teamster in a very tough local. Grew up knowing many of his fellow teamsters.  Never heard mention of being in the street but the other term was more probable.  It always made me nervous when we’d get together to go fishing. LOL

Wow... same with my dad!!!!  A NJ Teamsters local... not the one controlled by Tony Pro... but still not for the faint of heart.  LOL

My dad was a truck driver, mostly in and out of NYC, a lot of work at the NY/NJ ports.... and was good at schmoozing the Longshoremen who ran those docks with an iron fist.  He never had a problem with them. And occasionally brought home an item or two that fell off the back of a truck. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Man just remembered who made the bucks I wore starting 1972.... Hushpuppies.... supposed to use white chalk to keep them white... dream on.... 

1979 Westshore got new black units so black dress shoes... got them Hills Department Store (remember them?) in Indiana, PA. Lol

And to stay with foot health. Lastly special marching shoes from ???. #### things didn’t come in wide size for my arthritic toe joints. Only purely marching shoes were the ones I had the biggest problem

If you polished those bucks enough, they became hard as a rock.  

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow... same with my dad!!!!  A NJ Teamsters local... not the one controlled by Tony Pro... but still not for the faint of heart.  LOL

My dad was a truck driver, mostly in and out of NYC, a lot of work at the NY/NJ ports.... and was good at schmoozing the Longshoremen who ran those docks with an iron fist.  He never had a problem with them. And occasionally brought home an item or two that fell off the back of a truck. :tongue:

My Dad was a truck driver in Teamsters  local 710 in Chicago.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Well even the footwear dancers would use , which is what many guards wear are not a protective foot wear when projectile objects are being catapulted , but steel toe footwear doesn't seem like a consideration😱

I have seen many more broken fingers, noses, stitched heads etc

having seen sweaty feet lead to some sliding on tarps....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

having seen sweaty feet lead to some sliding on tarps....

YES it can happen ( painted or digital makes a difference ) or just like dew on grass or just grass....Basically what we do has risks all over the place

Edited by GUARDLING