NJ/LI/PA DCA central site (where?)

5 minutes ago, hairbear said:

And I'm from Ohio, but Pittsburgh claims me.  🙂

You may leave Western PA but Western PA never leaves you 😜

s/ guy who went to college about an hour east of da Burgh (with an h)

17 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

There are plenty of options.  One week before Labor Day.  Two weeks before Labor Day.  Three weeks before Labor Day...

if DCA is ever willing to move it. But even then, college football is starting earlier

14 hours ago, stldrmn1 said:

Buckle up it's going to get bumpy ! 

Currently six of DCA's competing Thirteen Corps are from west and south of the Allegheny Mountains.  The Mid-West and South can rightly lay claim to DCA's major growth area.  Costs to compete in the "DCA CORRIDOR" for us are in $20,000 (plus or minus a thousand or two) range per trip.  

I would offer that it's time to rethink the whole I-95 approach, and possibility move West to an I-79 venue.  Much more doable for Drum Corps fans that want support their local Mid-West and Southern Corps, and much cheaper for non I-95 Corps to attend.

Without the Mid-West, and South, DCA's pretty much a seven corps circuit.  The answer to "Will DCA Be Around in Five Years" lies in can DCA embrace growth, and compromise a little.

Rumblings  are that there may be one or two more Mid-West organizations considering moving into DCA in 2020.

Regards, Stldrmn1  

Not opposed to the idea, but do you think you'd get more fans now than you have been getting the last 5 years?

I ask because as an active DCA market, Pittsburgh has been dead for 25+ years

Edited by Jeff Ream

4 hours ago, hairbear said:

And I'm from Ohio, but Pittsburgh claims me.  🙂

so does Harrisburg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

if DCA is ever willing to move it. But even then, college football is starting earlier

Yep... a handful of games the Saturday before Labor Day weekend. Not many, though... and from what I remember, none in any venue DCA might be. 

I think this year, there were maybe four or five, nationwide. Of course, I watched some of them on TV. :tongue:

Heck... there are some high school games the weekend before Labor Day now.

High school football in Pennsylvania starts the weekend before Labor Day Weekend.  Basically, the Friday of Labor Day weekend is typically a PA High Schools second game of the regular season.  Conflicts will exist in many weekends, whether it be school or work.  I think when you determine the age of the majority of the performers (guessing high school and college age), it might help to determine a better date to use.  But alas, that discussion may be for the other dead horse topic currently featured in drum corps planet.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I ask because as an active DCA market, Pittsburgh has been dead for 25+ years

I was thinking Alumni, Parents and Fans from Columbus, Atlanta, Birmingham, Cincinnati, St Paul and Greensboro.  

A daunting decision for Mid-West and Southern Corps considering a DCA effort is the $20,000 +/- per trip to the I-95 Corridor to compete.  Let's be honest the "DCA Eastern Only" model has been worked to death.  To promote growth, and the activity, there needs to be expansion.

Which I-95 Corridor Corps would/could commit to annual travel budget in the $40,000 to $60,000 (or more) dollar range to remain viable and compete within the circuit? Or for that mater contemplate a 24 hour bus trip, to and from a contest site?

When considering Finials contest sites, and dates.  The needs, and time commitment of Corps mentioned above need to be considered.  For almost all the  Corps cities above the Thursday before Finials is a travel day, and with Finials late on Sunday, Monday travel is a must for those with members with school and work commitments.

Without the Mid-West, and South DCA finials would be comprised of seven (7) Open Class Corps, and one (1) Class "A" Corps.

Regards, Stldrmn1

Stldrmn1-

I understand, and share, your desire to see DCA become a nationwide traveling product. But, I’m convinced funds for that development are now,  just not there !

Even a smaller DCA is struggling to continue on.  There’s inadequate revenue coming in to both the corps, and to the DCA governing body. The Championship is no longer a big, end of year payout. There’s an insufficient amount of sponsorship dollars to DCA, a lack of added revenue from digital media products, etc. Beyond all this, travel costs for everyone concerned are rising rapidly. THIS is where DCA is.

In my opinion, the manageable, one way travel distance for everyone concerned is now limited to about an 8 hour drive. Beyond this radius, the experience is too costly, as you note.  

Now is a time for DCA to simply BEAR DOWN.

Edited by Fred Windish

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yep... a handful of games the Saturday before Labor Day weekend. Not many, though... and from what I remember, none in any venue DCA might be. 

I think this year, there were maybe four or five, nationwide. Of course, I watched some of them on TV. :tongue:

Heck... there are some high school games the weekend before Labor Day now.

it's growing, especially at bigger schools. why? tv ad revenue. and yes HS in the region is starting earlier too

Would love to see more corps and shows outside of Northeast. But how do you build up interest anyplace where there has not been a corps presence for years. To me big first step is building up interest to make a new show viable

• Like 1