NJ/LI/PA DCA central site (where?)

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Forgot about that different sheets and judges  bit. RCA was easier on execution for obvious reasons. Did both circuits a few years and whole different mindset.

can still hear Hershman screaming “it’s a DCA show this time, execute bleep it execute”

MBI and Chicago Connection... everyone’s favorite 11th and 12th place Corps late 70s. If they would have had some DCA judging earlier it would have been real interesting. Now I know why we did judged exhibition if possible so we could get the sheets and tapes

Wow... Larry would get on you guys??? I'm shocked here.  :tongue:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Wow... Larry would get on you guys??? I'm shocked here.  :tongue:

Well speaking of lesser DCA circuits here’s my favorite memory.... Westshoremen were kicking butt in lesser RCA and taking last or so in DCA shows. At practice some newbie (NOT me as I knew why) yells out “why are we going to DCA shows and come in last? Why don’t we do RCA shows and come in first?” ...few seconds of silence which was not a good sign, Larry answers... “because we get more money coming in last at DCA then we do coming in first at RCA...THAT’S why”. You could just feel the temperature drop 10 degrees. 😬

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, hairbear said:

There's another option: The Midwest/south could organize its own circuit and championships. This has been done twice in the past, with the RCA and ICA circuits. The problem with those two attempts was that a very strong DCA existed at the same time. The east coast corps had their reputations already established, years ago. They were the corps to beat, if one had the product. Understanding that I have always competed out east (with ONE exception), DCA today isn't as strong as it was in those days. 

however, those two circuits primarily ran in the same region as DCA, usually in the smaller towns. if they run stuff outside of the NE, different ballgame. They have to build their markets though. I have asked at least a hundred times over the years what do shows outside the NE draw, and never ever get any kind of concrete answer. You can't depend on the DCI fanbase to instantly flock to a product they really don't know.

notice how marketing plays an overwhelming role in everything?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

This, and what Poppycock has said.

The more shows for various "out of the Northeast" corps, the better for them... I'm not sure I care which circuit they're affiliated with.

And yes, if they are in good shape financially, they can then make the trip to the DCA title show. 

The one downside I can see with that is.... if those corps are not being judged by DCA panels (or on DCA sheets) for at least some of their regular-season shows... they would take the chances of being a "first read" for the DCA judges at a DCA title event.

Reminiscent of what used to be called "The Midwest Penalty" for corps making the trip East with no exposure there until Labor Day weekend. Gotta be honest... MBI paid that "penalty" at least a few times.

87, 89, 90......

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

however, those two circuits primarily ran in the same region as DCA, usually in the smaller towns. if they run stuff outside of the NE, different ballgame. They have to build their markets though. I have asked at least a hundred times over the years what do shows outside the NE draw, and never ever get any kind of concrete answer. You can't depend on the DCI fanbase to instantly flock to a product they really don't know.

notice how marketing plays an overwhelming role in everything?

We found that out in Dayton and Chicago in 1989, as we discussed in another topic. "You want to compete in DCA? Get in your car and drive." That hasn't changed.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

87, 89, 90......

Yep. Those three. Among others.  LOL

Took them until 1998 to break into the top 5. Well... at least officially it took them until 1998. :ninja:

Edited by Fran Haring

18 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

This, and what Poppycock has said.

The more shows for various "out of the Northeast" corps, the better for them... I'm not sure I care which circuit they're affiliated with.

And yes, if they are in good shape financially, they can then make the trip to the DCA title show. 

The one downside I can see with that is.... if those corps are not being judged by DCA panels (or on DCA sheets) for at least some of their regular-season shows... they would take the chances of being a "first read" for the DCA judges at a DCA title event.

Reminiscent of what used to be called "The Midwest Penalty" for corps making the trip East with no exposure there until Labor Day weekend. Gotta be honest... MBI paid that "penalty" at least a few times.

The cost of travel (16-20k from what others have said) for those organizations outside of the NE to compete in a show in the NE, that’s a lot of money just to get a score. I get that it’s competitive, but is that financially responsible? Why couldn’t an organization just pay for DCA judges to come judge them at a DCI show? Has to be less cost than traveling. 

Thought I read where scores are held by DCA and can be changed prior to announcing. So maybe it’s not as big of a penalty as it use to be. 

Edited by Poppycock

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

The cost of travel (16-20k from what others have said) for those organizations outside of the NE to compete in a show in the NE, that’s a lot of money just to get a score. I get that it’s competitive, but is that financially responsible? Why couldn’t an organization just pay for DCA judges to come judge them at a DCI show? Has to be less cost than traveling. 

Thought I read where scores are held by DCA and can be changed prior to announcing. So maybe it’s not as big of a penalty as it use to be. 

Yes, that's true... and that's a good point. Seeding is not quite as important these days. Less of a reason to say "I wasn't sure how to compare..." or whatever.

And yeah... I'm sure bringing in a judging panel is less money than loading up two or three buses for a long trip.  And with weather issues, that trip is a crap shoot.  Ask CV about that.  LOL.  All the way to PA for a show.. and it got rained out.

The logistics would have to be worked out, of course. (Two judging panels, one for DCI, one for DCA).  But heck... various logistics at any show have to be worked out.

And since it's technically a DCI show, perhaps the former DCA announcer could be paid to come in and... oh well... :tongue:

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

87, 89, 90......

77, 78 and 79 as well, my jeffe!   BTW - we made finals in '89 - even had best soloist that year..:soapbox:

Pat

13 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes, that's true... and that's a good point. Seeding is not quite as important these days. Less of a reason to say "I wasn't sure how to compare..." or whatever.

And yeah... I'm sure bringing in a judging panel is less money than loading up two or three buses for a long trip.  And with weather issues, that trip is a crap shoot.  Ask CV about that.  LOL.  All the way to PA for a show.. and it got rained out.

The logistics would have to be worked out, of course. (Two judging panels, one for DCI, one for DCA).  But heck... various logistics at any show have to be worked out.

And since it's technically a DCI show, perhaps the former DCA announcer could be paid to come in and... oh well... :tongue:

You know as well as I do, Fran - the "crap shoot" has been a point of regular debate here in Minne.. We've been luckier than others - but we're not immune..  We've had more than one trip out East that has been victim to Mother Nature - I think most of my family here look at it as part of the experience - or RE-paying our dues to the circuit.. I've always looked at it as 'Character Building' as a group - and in those days - it just made us tougher - (in addition to that well-known Midwest masochism we were known for)  :tounge2: