Adults and cannabis on tour

16 hours ago, Ghost said:

Probably the same thing many others of that era were thinking of.  My bachelor party in May of 73 was it for me.  A 30 pack will last me over a month now.  Nothing like one cold one after a softball game.

Exactly.

Forget beer pong or whatever. Our "drinking games" back then consisted of "Open beers and drink them until you fall over." :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Let me have a couple of beers tonight and I'll get back to you. 🙂

Louis Armstrong would've gotten back to me immediately..lol

• Haha 1

Kids have been doing drugs on tour as long as I can remember. I think every corps had a kid or two or three that did drugs. To this day, I have never done recreational drugs but I did drink beer in the drum house

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, boxingfred said:

Kids have been doing drugs on tour as long as I can remember. I think every corps had a kid or two or three that did drugs. To this day, I have never done recreational drugs but I did drink beer in the drum house

yes..but this is regarding Adults on tour in 2019-2020 

I had an interesting conversation with someone about a similar issue. Businesses that require random drug testing for heavy equipment use are facing challenges from employees who test positive for marijuana use. It was thought this might be an issue when marijuana sales for medicinal  purposes since most were probably not well enough to operate heavy equipment. Recreational use presents another set of issues. 

However, staff and marijuana use is most likely a non issue. In Massachusetts  you cannot legally smoke in public, or on municipal, state, or federal property. Regarding housing sites, all public schools fall into this category and in Massachusetts, private high schools would have it explicitly written that drug and alcohol use is forbidden. There is also nothing illegal or discriminatory about corps setting specific policies since so many marching members are under 21. 

Now if there are states that allow public use of marijuana, issues could get more complicated.

On 10/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, craiga said:

I'm not going to suggest that every drum corps kid is an angel.  However, today's activity is a far cry from when I marched in the early 80s, when some corps would load cases of beer onto the buses after a show, kids would smoke cigarettes before and after rehearsal, and I even remember watching a certain corps from New Jersey unloading their truck before a show while passing around a joint.  The activity has evolved.

We were allowed to load up our coolers and drink Beer, and smoke cigs in uniform. Guys smoked joints on the bus and blew into pillows, and black beauties were the friend of many a snare drummer...so I'm told.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FlamMan said:

We were allowed to load up our coolers and drink Beer, and smoke cigs in uniform. Guys smoked joints on the bus and blew into pillows, and black beauties were the friend of many a snare drummer...so I'm told.

VERY surprised to hear smoking and drink beer was allowed while in uniform, but not about weed and uppers. 

15 hours ago, Tim K said:

I had an interesting conversation with someone about a similar issue. Businesses that require random drug testing for heavy equipment use are facing challenges from employees who test positive for marijuana use. It was thought this might be an issue when marijuana sales for medicinal  purposes since most were probably not well enough to operate heavy equipment. Recreational use presents another set of issues. 

Now if there are states that allow public use of marijuana, issues could get more complicated.

Don’t forget the second hand smoke issue for work testing. Walked out of more than one place to make sure I had nothing in my system even if I wasn’t puffing.

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t forget the second hand smoke issue for work testing. Walked out of more than one place to make sure I had nothing in my system even if I wasn’t puffing.

Heck... I got drug-tested at a driving job I had, and they even asked beforehand if I had eaten anything in the past day or two with poppy seeds in it. 

I think back to my years growing up in NJ, when those great seeded hard rolls from the bakeries there were often my breakfast on weekends. I would have flunked every test.  LOL. 

• Haha 1