Adults and cannabis on tour

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

Heck... I got drug-tested at a driving job I had, and they even asked beforehand if I had eaten anything in the past day or two with poppy seeds in it. 

I think back to my years growing up in NJ, when those great seeded hard rolls from the bakeries there were often my breakfast on weekends. I would have flunked every test.  LOL. 

Ever now and then Dept of Defense would make noise that they’d start surprise tests for people with security clearances. So over the holidays we’d get invited to in laws buddies parties. So had to remember if the host was more straight laced or like Otto the bus driver on the Simpsons. Seriously it ran the gamut of a guy who was a banker and officer in the reserves to guy who made tie dyes and followed the Greatful Dead back when they toured. So it was.... Franks place, we’ll be there... Mikes place, oh HELL NO

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Seems like weed has been around drum corps from at least the 60's...If it's legalized federally (for adult consumption) I can imagine the announcer at finals saying " the award for high G.E. goes to.....ME"..lol

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

yes..but this is regarding Adults on tour in 2019-2020 

Adults should be allowed to do what they want on their free time. Not around the kids and nothing that will prevent them from driving, teaching, cooking, directing or any normal daily function.

• Like 6

Can't help but think about the Cannibis Cafe in Vancouver, British Columbia. They sold an interesting t-shirt: "this is the only cafe that you will come in hungry and leave hungrier". They were right.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Pretty sure school property even BITD was a drug free zone🤪

Yup. But thought we were talking about what should happen. Sneaking around always is a thing. 

39 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Yup. But thought we were talking about what should happen. Sneaking around always is a thing. 

What should or would happen I think is no different than it's always been. I think my point is liquor and bars have always been a part of tour maybe for staff but it's NOT acceptable to do it around members, legal or not, same should go for weed.

As far as members it will be what it's always been, I think there is a lot less than bitd. I do remember even the squeaky clean image of some corps had liquor as well as weed among others things . OHHH the stories

Edited by GUARDLING

BITD, booze was the major drug( yes drug) that we would use while in junior corps...But when I graduated to senior drum corps, every drug, even hallucinogens, was known to travel with certain corps...philosophy being: as long as they showed up to practice or competition clean...no problem..facts!!

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 5:43 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting paradox... with pot you want to hold the smoke in. With vape you want to blow it all out and make your own fog bank. At least making a blueberry flavored giant cloud seems to be the purpose of guy standing outside of my building. Want to make fog horn sounds whenever I walk by him.

You know it's funny actually. Britt and I went up to Helen, GA to enjoy some Oktoberfest festivities this past weekend. The only thing that's changed from last year to this year is that now, there are about 760 head shops on the strip (by 760 I mean 7....but you know me.) As we walked by one, we noticed that the store had placed some type of vaporizer outside (think like a renuzit air freshener) that sprayed a cannabis scented oil into the air. It was like bees to honey. Every pseudo hippy that was born in the early 70's was immediately drawn to walk into that shop (including myself.) In fact, I ran into a drum corps buddy on the strip and he mentioned the shop as well.   

That being said, if it's called out in the rules that are set forth by the corps, then kids should be sent home if they're caught doing it. The legality in certain states to me is secondary to the fact that a rule exists. Drum Corps teaches discipline among other core values and you have to have that discipline to follow the rules. It would be like working in a state that has legalized marijuana but the company you are working for tests for it. Legal or not, you signed on and they have rules. 

I smoked cigarettes when I marched in both DCI and DCA. But I followed the rules as far as our policies on being in uniform while smoking, areas you could and could not smoke etc. 

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever
  • Like 1