Sheffield, PA

Somewhere in western PA on Route 666 lies Sheffield. They had quite a celebration every summer to include a fair and a drum and bugle corps competition. I think the first time we went there was 1973 or 1974. They housed us at this clubhouse across a creek which was across the street from the fair and the competition. Originally the competition was on the fair grounds until a few years after they moved it to the high school football field. I remember, vividly, the first year playing the solo in "IF" (Bread) and after the first two eighth notes my mind went blank for the rest of the solo until the last whole note. I was so embarrassed and yet no one asked me what happened or said anything about it. One year in the 1980's I was on staff with the Patriots and we did the parade. Our snare line was at 12 straight across the entire street.

Wonder if they still have a show there?

Sheffield was a regular show back then, part of the town festival IIRC.  one year I remember it pouring rain before and during the show, the people still staying in the stands to see the show.  Lots of slips and slides on the sloppy field. One particular part of a yardline was bare and lower than the grass, and full of water above my ankles - almost lost my shoe in there!  as it was it took a long time for the white bucks to dry out and come close to being white again.

that may have been the same year our bus driver decided to try a shortcut home by going through the Allegheny Forest instead of sticking to the highways - at one point in the middle of nowhere we all had to get out of the bus so he could creep over a very sketchy one lane bridge

that was always a fun show.